The cooler weather offers a chance for perfume lovers to swap light and summery floral fragrances for more intense and lingering notes.
If you’re looking for a new scent to see you through autumn, look no further as a team of fragrance experts have whittled down every perfume on the market to reveal the ten best scents for the season.
Top of the list for women’s fragrances was Lacoste’s Pour Femme Intense, which costs a purse-friendly £47 RRP and knocked Chanel’s classic Coco Mademoiselle Intense into second place.
Researchers analysed data from Fragrantica, the online ‘encyclopaedia of perfumes’ where more than 524,000 fragrance enthusiasts review the latest scents.
Pictured: 1. Lacoste Pour Femme Intense by Lacoste has been voted as the top autumnal scent for women as summer moves gives way to cooler months, according to fragrance enthusiasts at Fragrantica. Costing just £47 RRP, it knocked luxury French label Chanel off the top spot
2. Coco Mademoiselle Intense by Chanel was voted as the second most popular women’s scent this season (left); 3. La Petite Robe Noire Légère– Guerlain came in third place (right)
They compiled a list of autumnal scents from a list of 2018’s most popular fragrances and ranked them according to their average rating.
They found that woody notes were the most popular this autumn, with 80 per cent of men’s fragrances and 50 per cent of women’s containing them.
Vanilla and sweet notes were the next most sought-after autumnal scents with 30 per cent of the top-rated fragrances containing these notes.
Interestingly, women are continuing to opt for more masculine scents when selecting a perfume, with ‘woody’ remaining the most popular aroma for autumn, with 50 per cent of the most popular perfumes for this season containing this note.
4. Amo Ferragamo – Salvatore Ferragamo was voted as the fourth most popular woman’s fragrance for autumn (left), 5. Flowerbomb Nectar – Viktor&Rolf came in at fifth (right)
6. Good Girl Légère – Carolina Herrera came in at sixth place in the autumn fragrance rankings for womn (left), 7. Narciso Rouge – Narciso Rodriguez was the seventh most popular (right)
8. Gucci Guilty Absolute by Gucci was voted as the eighth most popular fragrance for women this season, as ladies increasingly opt for woody notes and masculine scents
9. Poison Girl Unexpected by Christian Dior has been named as the ninth most popular fragrance for women this autumn (left), 10. Yes I Am by Cacharel came in tenth place (right)
Vanilla and sweet notes were the next most sought-after autumnal scent with 30 per cent of fragrances containing these notes.
Simultaneously, 80 per cent of the most popular fragrances of 2018 for men to wear this autumn are also woody, while 40 per cent of scents contain warm and fresh spicy notes.
Amber can be found in 30 per cent of the most popular colognes for men this autumn.
Data was collected on August 28, and research was conducted on behalf of bathroom supplier showerstoyou.co.uk.
Top-rated autumn fragrances for women
1. Lacoste Pour Femme Intense – Lacoste
2. Coco Mademoiselle Intense – Chanel
3. La Petite Robe Noire Légère– Guerlain
4. Amo Ferragamo – Salvatore Ferragamo
5. Flowerbomb Nectar – Viktor&Rolf
6. Good Girl Légère – Carolina Herrera
7. Narciso Rouge – Narciso Rodriguez
8. Gucci Guilty Absolute – Gucci
9. Poison Girl Unexpected – Christian Dior
10. Yes I Am – Cacharel
Top-rated autumn fragrances for men
1. Wanted – Night Azzaro
2. Luna Rossa Black – Prada
3. Déclaration Parfum – Cartier
4. Lempicka Homme – Lolita Lempicka
5. Terre d’Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver – Hermès
6. Gentleman Eau de Parfum – Givenchy
7. Obsessed for Men Intense – Calvin Klein
8. 1 Million Lucky – Paco Rabanne
9. Bvlgari Man Wood Essence – Bvlgari
10. Alien Man – Mugler