- A 16-month-old boy was having his nails cut by his mother at home in China
- He snatched away the sharp object and ran around the house with it
- He put it in the mouth and as his mother patted him, he swallowed it whole
- Doctors found the 2.4-inch nail clipper in the toddler’s stomach under an X-ray
A toddler boy was taken to a hospital after grabbing a nail clipper from his mother and accidentally swallowing it at home in Changchun, north-east China.
The accident happened as the mother saw her 16-month-old son putting a nail clipper in the mouth and patted him from the back in a bid to make him spit the object out. However he swallowed it whole instead.
Doctors found a 2.4 inches long nail clipper in the boy’s stomach and successfully removed the object with an endoscope.
An X-ray picture (left) shows the nail clipper stuck in the boy’s stomach. Doctors in north-east China used an endoscope to remove the sharp object (right) after he was taken to the hospital
The mother told New Culture Post that her toddler son, nicknamed Feifei, thought she was playing with him while chasing for the nail clipper.
‘I was cutting his nails and he snapped the nail clipper away from me suddenly and started running around the house,’ said the mother.
The incident happened at Feifei’s home in Changchun of Jilin Province at 3pm on April 17.
The mother took Feifei and rushed to Changchun Children’s Hospital immediately.
Doctors found the nail clipper lodged in Feifei’s stomach after an X-ray inspection.
The 16-month-old boy had accidentally swallowed a 2.4 inches long nail clipper while playing
The toddler was given an intravenous nutrient drip after a 25-minute operation
The 16-month-old was put under general anaesthetic while the doctors performed an endoscopy to remove the nail clipper.
Footage uploaded on Pear Video, a Chinese video-sharing platform, shows the endoscopic views of the stomach.
Doctors spent 25 minutes to take the nail clipper out.
Feifei was given intravenous nutrient drip after the operation and discharged from the hospital right after.