Tottenham CONFIRM the £42m signing of wing-back Pedro Porro from Sporting Lisbon… as the Spaniard joins on an initial loan with an obligation to buy following protracted talks between the two clubs
Tottenham have completed the £42million signing of Pedro Porro after an agreement was finally reached with Sporting Lisbon.
Porro has been Tottenham’s main target for the January window, but the deal had appeared to have been at risk of collapse on Monday when the Portuguese side called off negotiations when a medical had been booked in.
Talks were resurrected on Monday evening with the price rising from £39m to £42m and Sporting asking Spurs to give up a percentage of their sell-on for winger Marcus Edwards as part of the deal.
Pedro Porro has joined Tottenham on an initial loan with an obligation to buy of £42million
This led to the wing back flying to Luton airport at 2.30am on Tuesday morning ahead of to undergo his medical with the north London club.
Porro has claimed he will miss playing for Sporting Lisbon but insists he is excited to ‘pursue’ his ‘dream’ of playing in the Premier League after agreeing terms with Tottenham.
When speaking to reporters at the airport, Porro said he skipped Sporting Lisbon’s training session yesterday as he was ‘only focused’ on his Tottenham move, but insisted he had not burnt any bridges with the Portuguese club.
Speaking to CMTV about his move to Tottenham, Porro said: ‘I am very happy for this step, but I am also leaving a club that has given me everything and I hope it goes well for them.’
When asked whether his desire to leave Sporting Lisbon ruined his friendships at the club, Porro said: ‘I left many friends here. They know that since I arrived I am very grateful to them. Now, I have to make my life, pursue my dream and I hope that everything goes for the best.’
Porro agreed to a £42million deal with Spurs on Monday evening and flew to Luton airport at 2.30am on Tuesday morning ahead of his medical with the north London club
Porro went on to discuss the events leading up to his transfer and whether he refused to train. He told reporters: ‘No, no. I just asked, like, they were negotiating and my head was not right. But, Sporting also understood very well and I am grateful.’
Porro went on to reveal he has not yet spoken to Tottenham manager Antonio Conte. When asked whether he had spoken to his new boss, Porro said: ‘No, no. Not yet.’
The wing back’s arrival comes amid two depatures from Tottenham, with Matt Doherty and Djed Spence leaving on loan.
The 23-year-old star said he has not yet spoken to Tottenham manager Antonio Conte
Spence has joined Ligue 1 side Stade Rennais on loan until the end of the season, after struggling for game time since his summer arrival from Middlesbrough.
Doherty is set to complete a loan to Spanish giants Atletico Madrid.
Porro will now rival Emerson Royalf for Tottenham’s starting berth at right wing back.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk