Two men have been shot dead and a third injured at a popular tourist restaurant in the latest act of violence to affect Mexico’s Caribbean coast.
Emergency teams raced to the scene after the group of gunmen opened fire at Art Beach restaurant, which sits at the entrance to the hotel zone in the Mayan Riviera resort of Tulum, on Saturday night.
The identities of the victims have not yet been confirmed and the injured person has been identified as a 24-year-old man.
Saturday’s gun attack, which happened at around 9pm local time, is believed to be linked to an ongoing feud between organised crime gangs operating in the area and diners at the upmarket eatery reported hearing at least 20 gunshots.
The incident comes less than a month after two Canadians died of gunshot wounds and a third was wounded after a shooting near Cancun.
Two men have been shot dead and a third injured after the group of gunmen opened fire at Art Beach restaurant, which sits at the entrance to the hotel zone in the Mayan Riviera resort of Tulum, on Saturday
Following the latest shooting a spokesman for the State Prosecution Service of Quintana Roo confirmed: ‘Two men have lost their lives from gunshot wounds.
‘A third identified as L.A.A.C, aged 24, was injured.
‘Search protocols to identify the participants in this crime have been activated.’
Art Beach is regarded as one of the most elegant and expensive restaurants in Tulum.
The beachfront eatery has a sophisticated fusion menu including Siberian caviar and seafood platters of oysters, clams and shrimps.
It offers dinner shows to hotel guests which combine music and art with gastronomy.
The restaurant boasts of its ‘privileged location’ at the entrance to Tulum’s hotel zone, ‘in front of the Mexican Caribbean.’
Art Beach (pictured) is regarded as one of the most elegant and expensive restaurants in Tulum
The beachfront eatery offers dinner shows to hotel guests and boasts of its ‘privileged location’
The resort, famed for its beaches as well as the well-preserved ruins of an ancient Mayan port city, has been visited over the years by stars including Jennifer Aniston, Gigi Hadid and singer Pink.
Leonardo DiCaprio is also known to have stayed in the popular resort at least twice and Dua Lipa was pictured in the sea in Tulum on New Year’s Day last year.
Last month two Canadians died of gunshot wounds and a third was wounded at Hotel Xcaret, south of Playa del Carmen, near Cancun.
The Quintana Roo state prosecutor’s office said both victims had criminal records.
They also said that the suspect in the shooting was also a guest and Canadian police had informed them he was a known felon with a long record related to robbery, drug and weapons offenses.
Quintana Roo’s head of public security, Lucio Hernandez, said on Twitter a gun was fired during ‘an argument among hotel guests’ at the the hotel.
In November, a shootout on the beach of Puerto Morelos left two suspected drug dealers dead.
Authorities said there were about 15 gunmen from a gang that apparently disputed control of drug sales there.
Last month two Canadians died of gunshot wounds at the Hotel Xcaret, south of Playa del Carmen. Pictured: Members of the National Guard keep watch as forensic teams carry out investigations
An ambulance outside the Playamed hospital, where a wounded person was transferred after the shooting at the Hotel Xcaret, near Cancun, last month
The Tulum resort, famed for its beaches as well as the well-preserved ruins of an ancient Mayan port city, has been visited over the years by stars including Jennifer Aniston, Leonardo DiCaprio and Dua Lipa (pictured in Tulum)
In late October, two tourists – one a California travel blogger born in India and the other German – were caught in the apparent crossfire of rival drug dealers and killed in Tulum.
Following those events, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador sent nearly 1,500 members of the National Guard to reinforce security in the area.
And in December tourists were sent scrambling for cover after five gunmen dressed like soldiers arrived on jet skis at the four-star Oasis Palm hotel and began shooting in Cancun’s hotel zone.
Quintana Roo State Attorney General Óscar Montes de Oca revealed that there were five suspects who fired shots into the air without aiming their weapons at anyone.
After sending terrified tourists running for their lives, the attackers abandoned their three jet skis about a mile away, changed clothes and left the area, Montes de Oca added.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk