News, Culture & Society

Two walkers are killed after hit by 4×4 in East Sussex

Two walkers have been killed and another two injured when they were hit by a 4×4 on a quiet country lane in East Sussex.

The crash happened just after 8pm on Saturday when a Nissan Pathfinder 4×4 struck the group while driving on Harvey’s Lane just off the B2192 outside Ringmer in Lewes. 

A man, 31, from Wimbledon and a 31-year-old man from Tunbridge Wells both died at the scene.

The crash happened just after 8pm on Saturday when a Nissan Pathfinder 4×4 struck the group while driving on Harvey’s Lane just off the B2192 outside Ringmer in Lewes

Two woman, a 29-year-old from Wimbledon, and a 27-year-old from Addlestone, in Surrey, were taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton with minor injuries but have since been discharged.

Three other pedestrians, a 29-year-old man also from Addlestone, a woman, 24, from Morden and a 31-year old woman from Sutton, were unhurt.

The driver, a 37-year-old woman from Uckfield, was also uninjured. 

The group had been staying at the nearby Ember’s Camping, on the Bentley Farm estate in East Sussex.

A man at the campsite said: ‘We know they were camping with us but don’t know anything else at this point.’ 

The camping site boasts fire pits, a wood fired oven, underfloor heated shower blocks, a miniature railway and BBQ can be rented.

It also has wildfowl, chickens and rabbits roaming the campsite.

It costs £17 per adult per night and for an additional £65 per night, campers can rent their own Safari style canvas tent to camp in style. 

The group had been staying at the nearby Ember's Camping, on the Bentley Farm estate in East Sussex (pictured)

The group had been staying at the nearby Ember’s Camping, on the Bentley Farm estate in East Sussex (pictured)

Two fire engines and an officer were sent to the scene after the collision.

A spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue said: ‘East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to Harveys Lane in Ringmer at 8.13pm on 9 September 2017.

‘Two fire engines and an officer were sent to the scene.

‘South East Coast Ambulance Service and Sussex Police were also in attendance.’

Assistant Chief Fire Officer Mark O’Brien added: ‘This is clearly a terrible time for the families and friends of those who have lost their lives.

‘We do not know precisely what happened. The exact circumstances are being investigated.

‘We would urge that everyone takes extra care and looks out for each other when on our roads.’

Sussex Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone who has dashcam footage.

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk