News, Culture & Society

Two-year-old girl struck by foul ball at Houston Astros game suffered skull fracture

‘I think they will do the right thing’: Attorney for the family of a two-year-old girl hit by a foul ball at an Astros game last month says she suffered a skull fracture and a seizure, as they begin settlement talks with the owners

  • The family of the two-year-old girl who was hit by a foul ball at a Houston Astros game last month has disclosed the extent of her injuries
  • The child was struck in the head when the ball hit by Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr flew into the stands at Houston’s Minute Maid Park on May 29
  • She suffered a skull fracture, brain contusions, bleeding and a seizure following the accident and now requires medication to prevent future seizures
  • The little girl is now recovering at home from her injuries 
  • The update was released via lawyer Richard Mithoff in a letter to Astros owner Jim Crane, the family has not said if they will sue 
  • At the May 29 game Almora fell to his knees and burst into tears after he saw his foul ball hit the little girl  

The two-year-old girl who was struck by a foul ball last month at a Houston Astros vs. Chicago Cubs game has suffered serious injuries including a skull fracture and a seizure and is now on medication.

The child’s family is finally disclosing her condition, hiring attorney Richard Mithoff who listed the extent of her injuries in a letter to Astros owner Jim Crane.

The little girl was struck in the head by Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr’s fourth-inning line-drive that flew into the stands behind third base at Houston’s Minute Maid Park on May 29.

She was sitting on a relative’s lap when she was struck in the head and was rushed to the hospital, where she remained for several days.   

The letter revealed she suffered a skull fracture, brain contusions, bleeding, brain edema, and a seizure. As a result she is now on medication to prevent future seizures and is recovering at home. 

The family of the two-year-old girl (above) who was hit by a foul ball at a Houston Astros game last month has disclosed the extent of her injuries including skull fracture, brain contusions, bleeding and a seizure

The little girl was struck in the head by Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr¿s fourth-inning line-drive that flew into the stands behind third base at Houston's Minute Maid Park on May 29

The little girl was struck in the head by Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr’s fourth-inning line-drive that flew into the stands behind third base at Houston’s Minute Maid Park on May 29

At the May 29 game Cubs outfielder Almora fell to his knees and burst into tears after he saw his foul ball hit the little girl

At the May 29 game Cubs outfielder Almora fell to his knees and burst into tears after he saw his foul ball hit the little girl

‘Her progress will be reassessed in July, and the (family) hope to have more information then about the residual effects of the injuries,’ Mithoff said. 

‘The family has retained me to consult about their options and to publicly thank the fans and Astros for their outpouring of support,’ he added.

The family hasn’t said yet if they plan to sue the baseball team. 

The Astros released the following statement Wednesday saying: ‘The Astros continue to send our thoughts and prayers to the young girl and her family. We continue to respect the family’s request for privacy and have no further comment at this time.’

A day after the shocking hit Major League Baseball released a statement calling the incident ‘extremely upsetting’ and vowed to continue to examine its policy on protective netting at stadiums. 

All major league stadiums, Minute Maid Park has protective netting for foul balls. The family of the injured little girl was sitting one section away from where that protective netting ends. 

'Her progress will be reassessed in July, and the (family) hope to have more information then about the residual effects of the injuries,' Houston attorney attorney Richard Mithoff said

‘Her progress will be reassessed in July, and the (family) hope to have more information then about the residual effects of the injuries,’ Houston attorney attorney Richard Mithoff said

'The family has retained me to consult about their options and to publicly thank the fans and Astros for their outpouring of support,' the letter to Astros owner Jim Crane said

‘The family has retained me to consult about their options and to publicly thank the fans and Astros for their outpouring of support,’ the letter to Astros owner Jim Crane said

Almora declined to talk about the incident since the game but has said, 'Right now, obviously, I want to put a net around the whole stadium'

Almora declined to talk about the incident since the game but has said, ‘Right now, obviously, I want to put a net around the whole stadium’

Video from the May 29 baseball game shows Almora hit the line-drive and fall to his knees and into tears after he saw his ball hit the crowd. 

Almora declined to talk about the incident since the game but has said, ‘Right now, obviously, I want to put a net around the whole stadium.’   

On Wednesday Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he understands why Almora doesn’t want to talk about the hit anymore and said MLB will expand its policy on protective netting. 

‘It’s going to happen,’ Maddon said. ‘I mean, there’s no question, it’s going to happen. I’ve been doing this a while and I’ve seen different situations like that. I’ll be on board with something like that.’

Following recommendations from Major League Baseball, by the start of the 2018 season all 30 teams had expanded their protective netting to at least the far ends of the dugouts after several fans were injured by foul balls in 2017. 

In 2017 at Yankee Stadium a boy was struck in the head by a portion of a broken bat in may and in July that same year another fan sitting behind the first base dugout was hit by a 105mph foul boul. In September a young girl was hurt by another 105mph foul and was hospitalized.

Last August a woman died after she struck in the head by a foul ball at Dodger stadium.

The Chicago White Sox have plan to become the first team to extend the protective netting to foul poles after a female fan was hit in June.  

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.