A smart office makes use of technology to increase collaboration and productivity. Smart office technology and automation also help to improve the working environment through enhanced security, energy efficiency and streamlining of different processes.
When you utilize data analytics and connected technology, you can ensure your workplace is well-equipped for all the needs of each workforce. A smart office can also adapt and evolve fast.
1. Choosing the Right Smart Office Technology
There are different forms of smart technology, including front door cameras that are motion-activated and voice assistants with the ability to answer different questions.
You should select the right technology to redesign and plan your office space. Keep in mind there are different smart office solutions; however, not all are necessary for your workplace, so you need to consider the needs of your corporation first as you optimize the entire space.
You should also come up with a budget for the upgrades.
2. Smart Access and Security Control Systems
One of the smart office technology aspects usually overlooked is how the staff can enter the building and exit. If a security system interferes with the daily flow, how smart is your office, especially if there is a risk of a security breach? You need to select an access control solution that is customizable and allows seamless integrations.
- Save time with hands-free unlocking techniques that are also convenient.
- Choose cloud-based security systems, which means they can be managed remotely.
- Eliminate the need for fobs, site-server maintenance, and keycards, resulting in reduced operating costs.
- Use two-factor authentication as a way of enhancing security.
You can incorporate facial recognition and fingerprint scanners that are in-built.
Some of the smart office integrations you should consider include:
- Video management for an online personal video meeting
- Visitor management
- Employee and staffing management
3. Space Management and Meeting Room
To optimize your space, consider installing a management platform for meetings to ensure your entire team can utilize the space well.
- Speed booking requests can help to reduce instances of meeting spaces being double-booked. Attendees can also be notified if there are changes to the meeting location and time.
- Monitoring room usage and syncing with calendars to ensure full visibility of the available spaces at any given moment.
Integrations that can help with meeting space automation include:
- Booking software: Office 365
- Calendaring and Collaboration
4. Collaboration Tools
When remote work is common, it is important to have technology that allows every team member to collaborate.
- Invest in high-quality video equipment and webcams to ensure virtual presentations and meetings are more effective for an online personal video meeting.
- To accommodate the remote workers, utilize video conferencing software.
- Data and files should be stored on cloud servers to ensure your team can access everything easily from anywhere.
5. Smart Energy Solutions
To increase efficiency at the workplace, you should consider investing in modern energy solutions.
- Installing smart lighting that can adjust automatically can adjust the natural light levels while reducing energy costs by a considerable percentage.
- Investing in IoT sensors that use infrared, motion detection, microwave, or ultrasonic technology to collect data on usage and occupancy. The data from the sensors can offer valuable insights that can help determine which technology strategy you should implement.
6. Office Supply Management
Smart office supply management systems help to automate orders for office supplies.
- Improved access to data enables administrators to see where costs can be reduced in the supply chain.
- A supply interface that’s centralized, allowing easier accountability and tracking for orders and requests.
7. Smart Office Accessories
As you transform your workplace into a smart office, you shouldn’t forget that it should look like one. Invest in smarter office furniture that can boost productivity while offering flexibility.
- Standing desks come in handy, and they can be customized depending on the needs of each employee.
- Smart desk phones have replaced outdated landlines, and they have intuitive and sleek designs. They also have Bluetooth connectivity and touchscreens.
8. Planning the Smart Office Checklist
Before upgrading your office space, you need to make informed decisions.
First, determine your teams’ needs and which updates should be prioritized.
- Determine how much you’re willing to spend. If you’re on a tight budget, invest in upgrades that will significantly impact the work environment.
- Assess the needs of your organization. You can also solicit the input of your employees.
- The office security should be up to par.
9. Smart Office Technology in a Post-COVID-19 Era
The world has been forced to adjust after the COVID-19 pandemic. Since technological solutions are available, you can utilize hands-free designs since they can help maintain workplace hygiene.
- Automatic doors can help to safeguard employees against germs. Some of these doors are Bluetooth-enabled and paired with a door-opening mechanism that’s automatic.
- Touch-free technology helps to keep offices clean throughout. Elevators and coffee machines, among other appliances at the workplace, can be operated using a smartphone, thus minimizing the spread of germs.
10. Advanced Security Management for the Smart Office
A smart office can only be as secure as the access system at the workplace. It is important to have a complete access control system covering each aspect of physical and virtual building security using cutting-edge solutions to various complaints.