News, Culture & Society

Urgent warning over ‘bad batch’ of party drug that left one person in a critical condition

Urgent warning over a ‘bad batch’ of party drug that left one youngster in a critical condition – as experts real the ‘green liquid’ is also used as ANTI-FREEZE

  • Health authorities believe a partygoer was poisoned after drinking anti-freeze 
  • Patient is in critical condition in Royal Adelaide Hospital after attending a party 
  • Health authorities urging people to go to hospital if they ingested a similar drug 

A partygoer has been poisoned by a ‘bad batch’ of a green liquid drug while with friends. 

The South Australian resident is in a critical condition at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. 

The patient had presented to the emergency department after attending a party, prompting health authorities to issue a warning on Tuesday. 

A partygoer has been poisoned by a ‘bad batch’ of a green liquid drug while with  friends 

The patient had presented to the emergency department after attending a party, prompting health authorities to issue a warning on Tuesday

The patient had presented to the emergency department after attending a party, prompting health authorities to issue a warning on Tuesday 

SA Health are concerned other people may have consumed the same substance and are urging anybody who thinks they may have ingested the drug to come forward. 

The patient is suspected to be poisoned by ethylene glycol – a green coloured liquid that affects the central nervous system and can cause permanent kidney damage. 

The substance is used as an anti-freeze agent in car engines. 

RAH Duty Emergency Physician and Clinical Toxicologist Sam Alfred said in some cases, it can be fatal.

‘Ethylene glycol ingestion has no symptoms until renal and neurological injury develop and by then the damage to organs can be severe,’ he said.

Anyone who ingested a green liquid drug is urged to present to their closest emergency department immediately, even if they are asymptomatic.

‘The danger of taking any type of recreational drug is that it is impossible to know where it has come from, what is in it and at what dose, and what affect it will have on the individual who takes it,’ Dr Alfred said.

‘We are warning South Australians of the potential bad batch and remind them it is unsafe to take any type of recreational or illegal drugs.’

Police and the Poisons Information Centre have been notified of the case. 

The patient is suspected to be poisoned by ethylene glycol - a green coloured liquid that affects the central nervous system and can cause permanent kidney damage. The substance is used as an anti-freeze agent in car engines

The patient is suspected to be poisoned by ethylene glycol – a green coloured liquid that affects the central nervous system and can cause permanent kidney damage. The substance is used as an anti-freeze agent in car engines 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk