A worker at a Vietnamese restaurant was allegedly kidnapped in a car and assaulted by his female boss after being ‘caught with his fingers in the till’.
The family-run Mama Hong’s at Lane Cove on Sydney’s lower north shore where the alleged abduction took place is now set to reopen after four months – and is looking to hire new employees.
The actions of the staff member who was allegedly taken to an unknown location and assaulted before being dumped in a park are still being investigated by police.
Restaurant co-owner Ann Ngo, 37, and two other employees including the father of her children have been charged with kidnapping and assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company.
Ann Ngo, co-owner of Mama Hong’s Vietnamese restaurant at Lane Cove on Sydney’s lower north shore, has been charged with kidnapping and assaulting a worker who was allegedly caught trying to steal. The 37-year-old mother-of-two is pictured
Ann Ngo, a mother-of-two who grew up at Cabramatta in Sydney’s south-west, opened Mama Hong’s with a cousin in the Lane Cove Arcade in April last year. The restaurant (above) served homemade classics such as pho and banh mi.
Ngo, a mother-of-two who grew up at Cabramatta in Sydney’s south-west, opened Mama Hong’s with a cousin in the Lane Cove Arcade in April last year.
The bakery-cum-cafe served homemade Vietnamese classics such as pho and banh mi and came after the pair operated another eatery under the same name at Concord, in the inner-west, which closed due to Covid-19.
Ngo told local news website In The Cove that Mama Hong’s, which prided itself on good customer service, had been welcomed by a supportive community.
‘We don’t have uni degrees, but we know how to work hard and with love,’ Ngo said.
‘Our parents escaped the war in Vietnam for a chance at a better life. Through their sacrifices, we have been blessed with the opportunity to do this.’
Ngo, who grew up at Cabramatta in Sydney’s south-west, told local news website In The Cove that Mama Hong’s had been welcomed by a supportive community. Ngo is pictured
Mama Hong’s is now set to re-open after four months – and is looking for new staff. A sign in the restaurant’s window this week said the owners wanted workers to ‘join our team’
Police allege a 22-year-old employee of the restaurant was caught opening the cash register while the restaurant was closed about 9pm.
‘A short time later, two men – aged 37 and 28 – entered the business before they allegedly assaulted the 22-year-old man,’ police said in a statement.
The 28-year-old was Dominic Tran, who is also involved in the restaurant, and the 37-year-old is chef Nathan Yeung, the father of Ngo’s children.
‘The 22-year-old man was then driven to an unknown location, where [Ngo] entered the vehicle and allegedly assaulted him,’ police allege.
The employee was allegedly released at a park on Henley Marine Parade at Drummoyne in the city’s inner-west about 11.50pm.
He was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital with head and facial injuries.
The employee was allegedly driven to an unknown location, assaulted by Ngo and released at a Brett Park in Henley Marine Parade at Drummoyne in Sydney’s inner-west (pictured)
The next morning officers attached to North Shore police area command attended Mama Hong’s and arrested Yeung and Tran.
Later in the day investigators went to a home at Homebush West and arrested Ngo, who was refused bail at Burwood police station.
All three were charged with take/detain in company with intent to get advantage occasioning actual bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company.
A Facebook post on June 9 said Mama Hong’s would be reopening soon. A police spokesman confirmed investigations into the alleged abduction victim’s actions were continuing
Ngo applied for bail on March 25 and it was refused. She made another attempt in the Supreme Court on May 13 and was successful.
Among her bail conditions are that Ngo not associate with her alleged co-offenders, who are also on bail, or communicate with their alleged victim.
All three will appear in Burwood Local Court later this month. They have not yet entered pleas.
A police spokesman confirmed investigations into the alleged victim’s actions were continuing.
A Facebook post on June 9 said Mama Hong’s would be reopening soon. It is understood the restaurant will be renamed Pho Bar.
A sign in the restaurant’s window this week said the owners were looking for workers to ‘join our team’.
Ngo’s bail conditions stipulate she not associate with her alleged co-offenders or communicate with their alleged victim. All three will appear in court later this month
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk