- Volunteers for an adaptive sports charity were cleaning the area around Lake Houston in Texas when they made the gruesome discovery
- A mother-daughter duo found the severed head in a plastic bag on Saturday
- They said it seemed to be of a young woman with red hair, but investigators have not yet determined the age, sex, or ethnicity of the head
- Twenty minutes before the head was found, another volunteer had found a gun
- Whether the two findings are related remains under investigation
A charitable day turned sinister when a group of volunteer cleaners found a severed head near a Texas lake.
About 300 volunteers for Texas Adaptive Aquatics were in the middle of the annual Trash Bash when a mother-daughter duo came across the gruesome discovery along Lake Houston on Saturday, Fox26 reported.
Even more shockingly, just 20 minutes before another volunteer had found a gun.
Whether the two findings are related remains under investigation.
Volunteer cleaners came across a severed human head by lake Houston on Saturday
Twenty minutes before the head was found inside a bag, another volunteer had found a gun
The young daughter was the one to first spot the human head when she found a plastic bag that seemed heavy, said Roger Randall with Texas Adaptive Aquatics, a charity that helps disabled children get involved with water sports.
The head appears to have been of a young woman with red hair, according to the mother and daughter who found it.
Homicide detectives canvassed the area after the human remains were found, searching both the water and surrounding land for more evidence.
The mother and daughter who found the head said it seemed to be of a young woman with red hair, but investigators have not yet determined the age, sex, or ethnicity
Detectives showed up at the scene and searched both the water and area around where the head was found by volunteers for Texas Adaptive Aquatics
They went through all the trash bags by hand, detective Andrew Barr told Fox26.
But investigators were unable to definitively confirm the sex, age or ethnicity of the head.
Medical examiners will now work to identify the remains and police will go through their missing persons data base as part of the ongoing investigation.
Texas Adaptive Aquatics is a charity that helps disabled children get get into water sports