Widnes bolster Super League survival hopes by seeing off Broncos

Widnes gave their Super League survival hopes a massive boost with a straightforward 38-16 victory over London Broncos.

Vikings hooker Lloyd White grabbed a 10-point haul and Danny Craven and Joe Mellor both touched down twice as Widnes had too much power for their visitors.

The pressure was all on the Vikings to deliver following last week´s slip-up at Hull KR, which saw the Robins promoted to Super League.

Danny Craven grabbed a couple of tries for WIdnes

It meant there was a determination among the home side that they would not be embarrassed by another Championship club, and four well-worked tries saw them lead 22-6 at the break.

Widnes boss Denis Betts did his best to fan the flames and give the game added spice as he claimed before the match that not one London player would get in his side. Thankfully for him, his players delivered.

It was London, however, who looked the more likely to get the job done in the early stages and they deservedly went ahead through Mark Ioane.

Widnes looked to reply immediately and Ryan Ince went close but he bounced the ball over the line.

The tide turned against London soon after William Barthou and White swapped blows, after White appeared to stamp on the Broncos scrum-half. Nothing was picked up by the officials and it was Widnes who capitalised.

Matt Whitley was the man who got the score Widnes were desperately after as he sprinted in from a Mellor pass.

White then scooted over before Mellor delivered a lovely ball to Craven who finished off well for another Vikings try.

London shot themselves in the foot after 34 minutes as Matty Gee took the law into his own hands and cleaned out Welsh international White before being sent to the sin bin.

Widnes made hay and capped off their half in style, running in another try in the closing seconds of the 40 minutes as they kept the ball alive, playing hot potato rugby league until Charly Runciman barged over.

When Tom Gilmore sent in Craven for his second soon after the break, it was about how many more scores Widnes would plunder.

Jarrod Sammut got one back for the visitors to make it 26-12 with 25 minutes to play but London had little left.

Mellor was next to cross on his 150th Widnes appearance. Things got easier for the Vikings when James Cunningham was binned after referee James Child had put the Broncos on a team warning.

Kieran Dixon grabbed a consolation as London finished with a flurry but Mellor had the final say with a last-minute try.

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk