A Virginia woman was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison Tuesday for poisoning her coworkers with Windex-ridden coffee.
In February, Mayda Edith Rivera Juarez, 33, pleaded guilty to adulteration of food with intent to injure or kill in the corrupt incidents that took place over the course of October 2016.
Juarez’s former coworkers at the JAS Forwarding Worldwide in Sterling filed a police report in Loudoun County October 13, claiming several of them experienced some form of illness from consuming the tainted brew.
Mayda Edith Rivera Juarez, 33, was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison
In October 2016, Juarez poisoned her coworkers with Windex-ridden coffee. She also admitted to pouring Ajax dish soup in her supervisor’s cup
Victims said they experienced ‘severe digestive problems and diarrhea,’ Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Alex Kowalski told WTOP at the time.
Jaurez’s supervisor reportedly reviewed surveillance footage from the office break room when the suspicious illnesses arose.
Juarez was fired from her position at the freight forwarding company.
Juarez admitted to detectives the act was intentional, and that she squirted Ajax dish soap directly into her supervisor’s drink in another event.
The woman’s small group of coworkers described her as a ‘disgruntled employee who didn’t see eye-to-eye with other employees.’
Victims said they experienced ‘severe digestive problems and diarrhea’ from the poisoning
Juarez’s coworkers described her as a ‘disgruntled employee who didn’t see eye-to-eye with other employees’
Window cleaners contain several hazardous ingredients such as Ammonia, Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohol and Methanol.
If consumed, individuals may suffer symptoms like convulsions, vision loss, throat pain, vomiting, esophagus damage, brain damage and difficulty breathing, according to MedlinePlus.gov.
The National Library of Medicine advises people who suspect they may have window cleaning poisoning not to vomit, but consume milk or water until in the presence of medical assistance.
In the case of emergency, the national poisoning hotline can be reached at (1-800-222-1222).