Xabi Alonso ‘will NOT be Borussia Monchengladbach’s new boss as the Bundesliga giants choose a different coach to replace Dortmund-bound Marco Rose’… leaving Liverpool and Real Madrid hero to carry on managing Real Sociedad’s B team
- Xabi Alonso was said to be taking over at Borussia Monchengladbach in summer
- New reports in Germany claim he will now NOT replace Marco Rose as their boss
- Alonso has impressed managing Real Sociedad’s B team in the Spanish third tier
- Monchengladbach are reported to have chosen a different coach to take over
Xabi Alonso will not become the new coach of Borussia Monchengladbach after the Bundesliga side opted for a different name to replace Marco Rose, it has been reported.
Contrary to reports in Bild on Monday – who claimed that Alonso was set for a return to Germany to take over at Borussia-Park – Kicker now write that the Spaniard has been overlooked for the role.
The media outlet report that Borussia Monchengladbach have chosen a coach to replace Borussia Dortmund-bound Rose at the end of the campaign, but that they are heading down a different route to the one offered by Alonso.
Xabi Alonso will ‘not leave Real Sociedad B to become Borussia Monchengladbach’s new boss’
Alonso’s stock has risen over the last few years but he has been ‘overlooked for the role’
The Liverpool and Real Madrid hero is currently managing Real Sociedad B and his stock is high, having guided the team to the top of their division.
He has been linked with a top European job, even being tipped by some to take over at Liverpool in the future, and it appeared that his first senior managerial role would be in the Bundesliga.
Alonso finished his career in Germany with Bayern Munich and so knows the country well and even speaks the language, but it now seems as though he will not be in the dugout at Monchengladbach.
Marco Rose is currently Monchengladbach boss, but is set to move to Dortmund in the summer
At Liverpool, Alonso (left) is still a hero, having won the Champions League back in 2005
Kicker write that there were conversations between the two parties, but no agreement was made and the team’s sporting director Max Eberl has instead chosen a different candidate.
Speaking last week on ZDF, he said he had ‘been on the road very, very intensively for the last three weeks’, before adding: ‘I had very, very many and good conversations. I am on the right path, we had a selection of candidates that we have dealt with.
‘With the focus we are already on the home straight – we have a clear vision.’
Alonso (front right) barks instructions from the touchline at Zubieta, San Sebastian