- Video shows a hoverboard smoking in West Park Mall in Cape Girardeau
- A mall security officer stands dangerously close as the board explodes
- It bursts into flames as onlookers scream and some run away
- Security tries to control the flames with a fire extinguisher but it continues to puff, spark and catch fire
- This is one of many cases involving hoverboard explosions that have left houses completely burned down and others dead
Shoppers at a Missouri mall were in for quite a shock when a hoverboard exploded and caught on fire right in front of them.
Cell phone videos shows West Park Mall security in Cape Girardeau standing fairly close to the board as it’s seen smoking.
A moment later the board sparks twice, exploding and hurling pieces everywhere as it bursts into flames.
Security tries to control the flames with a fire extinguisher, but it continues to spark and turn into a blaze.
Cell phone video taken at West Park Mall in Girardeau, Missouri, shows a hoverboard smoking and then exploding. Mall security uses a fire extinguisher to try to control the flames
Hoverboards have caused a number of house fires and been recalled for their malfunctions causing them to overheat and explode
Onlookers are seen standing dangerously close to the flaming board in the video taken last month.
People are heard screaming as it explodes and some begin to run away. Loud explosion sounds are continuously heard as security tries to control the small blaze.
This explosion is just one of many that have plagued the electronic boards.
Hoverboards grew in popularity in 2015 and that same year the first reported board exploded in Louisiana.
Since then, houses have burned to the ground causing half a million boards to be recalled, Amazon cancelling its distribution, factories in China shutting down, and New York City subways as well as Universities banning the use of the boards.
Just this year, a three-year old was killed in Pennsylvania when her home caught fire due to another board malfunctioning.
It’s unclear who the hoverboard belonged to and if anyone was injured.
Onlookers at the mall are seen standing dangerously close to the board as it bursts into flames