News, Culture & Society

Yorkshire will take NO disciplinary action after report into Azeem Rafiq’s racism allegations

Yorkshire will take no disciplinary action against ANY of its employees, players or execs over the racist bullying and harassment of Azeem Rafiq – even after admitting seven of his allegations ARE true

Yorkshire will take no disciplinary action against any of its employees, players or executives in the wake of an independent report into allegations of racism by former player Azeem Rafiq, the county have announced.

Last month, the panel’s report upheld seven of the 43 allegations made by Rafiq, and found there was ‘no question’ he was subjected to harassment of a racial nature and bullying during his time with Yorkshire.

However, it also said that there was insufficient evidence to find the club were institutionally racist. Rafiq and his team responded by describing the handling of the process as ‘atrocious’ and ‘unacceptable’.

And now, Yorkshire have confirmed they have no plans to take action.

In a statement, they said: ‘Ultimately the issues raised by Azeem Rafiq are going to be considered not only by the Panel but also the Employment Tribunal and the ECB.

‘The Club has also carried out their own internal investigation following the findings in the Report after which they are able to report that they have come to the conclusion that there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or Executives that warrants disciplinary action.

‘None of this diminishes the importance of the findings or that fact that there is much the Club can learn from the Report. 

‘It was important for Azeem to raise the issues and without him doing so we would not have the Panel’s recommendations which are an important part of the Clubs continuing journey. 

‘Club Chair Roger Hutton believes the Club and everyone connected to it should be proud of the work that the Club has done to improve diversity and inclusion prior to his involvement, but equally acknowledges there remains much to be done going forward. 

‘The Club is fully supportive of what is a strong and talented team which is working hard on the recommendations on the way forward for Yorkshire County Cricket Club and looks forward being able to report on further developments over the coming months.’

This afternoon, the ECB confirmed they have received the full report – and are now examining its findings. 

‘The ECB has this afternoon received a copy of the report carried by on behalf of Yorkshire CCC into the allegations made by Azeem Rafiq, together with assurances from the club to cooperate fully with the ongoing regulatory process.

‘This is a matter with many serious allegations at its heart and the ECB’s regulatory team will now consider the report as part of its investigation.

‘We anticipate that it will take time for the regulatory process to reach its conclusion, but it is imperative that this is completed thoroughly and with fairness to all involved.’ 

It was revealed by Sportsmail last week that Yorkshire had missed a deadline set by the ECB to send the governing body the whole report.

The deadline of October 15 came and went without the ECB receiving the report – the second time that the county are guilty of failing to comply in time.

Yorkshire missed the second deadline in as many weeks after they were ordered by an employment judge to send a complete copy to Rafiq’s legal team by October 8. 

As previously reported by Sportsmail, the ECB are preparing to lodge disrepute charges against Yorkshire over their much-maligned handling of the case. The delay in handing over the report may lead to an aggravated charge.

The ECB were also weighing up whether to open their own investigations into the racism allegations made by former spinner Rafiq.

More to follow. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk