Copa America 2015 Final REPORT Chile 0-0 Argentina (aet, Chile win 4-1 on pens): Alexis Sanchez nets winning penalty as Lionel Messi loses another final
- Copa America final goes to penalties after goalless draw
- Both sides have chances, but neither can take the lead in normal time
- Gonzalo Higuain misses from close range with last kick of the game
- Alexis Sanchez scores winning penalty after Gonzalo Higuain and Ever Banega missed from the spot
- Angel di Maria taken off inside half an hour with hamstring injury
- Chile win their first ever major international competition
- READ: Martin Domin’s match report from Estadio Nacional
At last, Chile’s long wait is over.
In a stadium so entrenched in the nation’s past it almost drips from the creaking rafters, a new chapter was written into its history.
The Estadio Nacional, in which up to 20,000 citizens were detained during the country’s bloody dictatorship, erupted as Alexis Sanchez cheekily chipped home the winning penalty to end La Roja’s 99-year quest for Copa America success.
The team hailed at the start of this tournament as the best Chile had ever produced duly delivered as Argentina lost a second major final in as many summers.
Catch up with all the action below, or read MARTIN DOMIN’s match report here.