Chinese women’s national soccer team is being QUARANTINED at an Australian hotel that’s been placed in lockdown amid coronavirus fears
- The Chinese woman’s national soccer team is in quarantine at a Brisbane hotel
- A group of 32- including players and staff- arrived in Australia on Wednesday
- The team were in Wuhan on January 22 and will be in isolation until February 5
- New NSW government rule demands Wuhan travellers self-isolate for 14 days
The Chinese woman’s national soccer team is being quarantined at a Brisbane hotel.
The players arrived to Australia at 9am on Wednesday after the Chinese Football Association moved the sides Olympic qualifying matches to Australia when the outbreak started.
The team were in the city of Wuhan on January 22, and will be required to stay at their inner-city hotel until February 5 over fears that members may have the deadly coronavirus.
The 32 players, coaches and staff arrived in Brisbane on a flight from Shanghai, but new regulations force them to be isolated until February 5.
The Chinese woman’s national team is reportedly being quarantined at a Brisbane hotel. Pictured: China Eastern Airlines cabin crew are seen wearing protective face masks at Brisbane International Airport on Wednesday
Queensland health minister Steven Miles confirmed the hotel was in the centre of Brisbane.
New state government requirements demand residents to self-isolate for 14 days from when they left Wuhan, says chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young.
‘Anyone who has been in contact with a confirmed case must self-isolate in their homes,’ she said.
Dr Young said the football team posed no risk to the Queensland community.
A further 19 people in the state were tested for coronavirus on Wednesday.
The footballers’ isolation follows news hours earlier that experienced midfielder Wang Shuang and 22-year-old Yao Wei were among several absentees from the team as it touched down in Queensland.
The pair were among a group of at least four players who returned to their native Wuhan for Chinese New Year, with the city since placed in lockdown following the outbreak of the virus which has killed dozens and left thousands ill.
A team official told AAP on Tuesday Wang and Yao were unavailable due to travel restrictions.
The players will remain at home in isolation and under observation but it’s understood none have shown any related symptoms of the virus.
Paramedics completely covered in decontamination gear attended a suspected coronavirus case in the Gold Coast on Tuesday
The absences are a big blow to the Steel Roses.
Wang has played over 100 matches for China, scoring 28 goals, while Yao was a member of last year’s World Cup squad and has made 22 international appearances.
Wuhan was the original location for the Group B fixtures in the final round of Asian qualifiers for this year’s Olympics.
The six group matches also featuring Australia, Thailand and Taiwan were originally relocated to Nanjing and then Sydney after China withdrew as hosts at the weekend.
The Chinese team trained in isolation in Suzhou before departing for Australia.
Pictured: A patient heading in to Westmead Hospital after being diagnosed with coronavirus
Symptoms of the virus include fever, cough, sore throat and shortness of breath
Along with staff, they all underwent testing before departure with none returning a positive.
‘They went through all the same checks that any Chinese national flying in from China would have gone through,’ FFA chief executive James Johnson said.
‘We’re confident in the government’s checks and balances.’
The team was scheduled to play against Thailand for the tournament opener at Campbelltown Stadium on Monday.
So far, the deadly virus, officially named 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), has killed 132 people in China and infected more than 6000 across 17 countries.
In Australia, there are currently four confirmed cases in New South Wales, and two in Victoria.
CORONAVIRUS IN AUSTRALIA
NEW SOUTH WALES: 4
Four people in NSW have been diagnosed with coronavirus, including three men and one woman.
- Three men aged 43, 53, and 35 who had recently travelled to China were confirmed to have contracted the disease.
- Two had flown from Wuhan while the other arrived in Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.
- They are being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital and are in stable condition.
- A 21-year-old woman became the fourth person to test positive for the illness in NSW on Monday.
- The woman, a student at UNSW, flew into Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and presented to the emergency department 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.
- She is being treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital.
- A Chinese national aged in his 50s becomes the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.
- The man flew to Melbourne on China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou on January 19.
- He is now in quarantined isolation at Monash Hospital in Clayton in Melbourne’s east.
- A Victorian man in his 60s is diagnosed with the coronavirus.
- He became unwell on January 23 – two days after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.
- The man was confirmed as positive on January 29 and was subsequently seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre. He was assessed as being well enough to stay at home.
Australia has raised the travel alert level to ‘do not travel’ for the city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the outbreak – and for the entire Hubei province.
Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy says unless people have contact with someone who is unwell and has come from that part of China, there is no need for current concern.