Have you been recently introduced to the terms EMS therapy and electric muscle stimulator? You must be having a plethora of questions about the therapy, device and if it’s actually going to work!
Worry not! We’ve got your back. In this article, we’ll clear all the doubts you have about electrical muscle stimulation therapy.
But before that, we recommend you buy your muscle stimulator pad from renowned manufacturers for quality products and competitive prices.
What’s The Science Behind Electrical Muscle Stimulation?
Electric muscle stimulator (EMS) therapy, or neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) therapy, involves muscle stimulation using electrical signals at higher Hz rates. The electrical impulses induce muscle contraction to enhance blood flow and nutrient distribution.
EMS therapy can also recruit and strengthen more muscle fibres compared to standard low-intensity warm-up exercises or workouts.
Therefore it is actively used for physical therapy and sports training to improve muscle strength, accelerate the muscle recovery process and reduce the risk of muscle injuries.
EMS therapy pad by Backpainhelp has 10 adjustable intensity levels to suit your therapy requirements.
Electric muscle stimulation-induced muscle contraction mimics the CNS-controlled muscular contraction.
What Is An Electronic Muscle Stimulation Pad?
A muscle stimulator pad is a device that transmits electrical impulses to your body during EMS therapy. Various types and styles of stimulators are available, depending on your requirement.
The EMS pad developed by BackpainHelp involves a single, wireless, chargeable pad that can be easily used at home by every individual.
How Does Electric Muscle Stimulator Work?
- The muscle stimulator disseminates the electrical charge to induce muscle contraction inside your body.
- Most world-class devices have specific settings to adjust the stimulation intensity, massage actions and duration of the treatment.
- The muscle stimulator pad can be attached anywhere in your body. Only muscles near the stimulator pad will contract. Therefore, you need to apply the stimulator pad to the relevant body part.
What Are The Benefits Of Electric Muscle Stimulator Therapy?
- Enhances Blood Flow Within Your Muscles: Electrical muscle stimulator therapy enhances blood flood to the muscle tissues, specifically when induced at lower frequencies. Due to the cyclic contraction and relaxation rhythm generated by electrical impulses, the muscle functions as a pump to enhance oxygen-rich blood flow into the muscle. Its periodic contraction impulses also help in metabolite clearance from the muscle.
- Improves Muscular Strength: EMS therapy is efficient at improving muscular contraction rates and strength. This is specifically beneficial for individuals undergoing regular physical therapy for lower back pain, sciatica, arthritis and fibromyalgia. Ensure to consult with your doctor or physiotherapist before using the electrical muscle stimulator device.
- Reduces Muscle Pain: Some studies have demonstrated that implementing EMS therapy and following correct protocols can reduce muscle pain in athletes. Athletes with a lower pain threshold can train harder and feel better recovered, translating into successive training sessions and better performance outcomes.
- Aids In Psychological Recovery: Pain has a debilitating effect on the life of any individual. Painful conditions such as fibromyalgia and arthritis can interfere with your daily activities leading to poor quality of life and physiological depression.
With pain reduction therapy and improved mobility, you can enjoy a better, healthier lifestyle. It strengthens weakened muscles allowing you a greater range of motion. With decreased pain, the quality of life improves significantly.
Who Needs Electric Muscle Stimulation Therapy?
EMS therapy using the muscle stimulator pad is recommended for the following conditions:
- Lower back pain caused due to poor posture and increased muscle strain
- Back pain due to disease conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, sciatica, etc.
- Post-surgical muscle weakness and pain
- Conditions leading to poor motor control
Your physician or physical therapist can suggest EMS if you’re complaining about muscle pain, frequent spasms, inflammation, or weakness, along with medications, exercise and other supportive therapy.
How To Use an Electric Muscle Stimulator?
You’ll receive a USB charging cable, gel skin pads, and a magnetically connect buckle for a portable electronic muscle stimulator.
- Clean your hands and keep them dry while assembling the various part of the device.
- Now attach the magnetic stimulator to the gel pad.
- Generally, the gel pad comes with a protective covering. Remove the covering before using it.
- Place the muscle stimulator pad on the area where you’re experiencing pain. Ensure that your skin is dry.
- Power on the device. Set the level of intensity and the mode of the simulations.
- Continue the therapy for 20-30 minutes. Take small breaks before commencing the next session.
The therapy pad by Backpainhelp also has a remote control for ease of operation.
Is EMS Therapy Painful?
EMS therapy using electronic muscle stimulators is safe to use and pain-free. Initially, you may feel a mild tingling sensation. However, once you get habituated, it feels relaxing and therapeutic. Start with mild intensities and then advance to higher levels as you feel comfortable.
Additionally, ensure to keep your hands and the area completely dry while using the EMS device.
Enjoy a pain-free lifestyle with medically advanced EMS therapy.