News, Culture & Society

Funeral held for youngest Las Ramblas terror attack victim

A touching funeral has been held for two victims of last week’s Las Ramblas terror attack.

Hundreds flocked to the Sant Pere church in Catalonia to pay their respects to three-year-old Javier Martinez, the youngest victim of the attack, and his grandfather Fransisco Lopez Rodriguez.

The mourners – many holding flowers, all somber – packed into the forecourt as two hearses carried out their remains.

Fransisco, 65, was killed by his wife’s side when a van driven by fugitive jihadi Younes Abouyaaqoub ploughed into crowds of people in the packed Barcelona street.

‘We are a broken family.’ his niece, Raquel Baron Lopez, wrote on Twitter after he and 15 others were slaughtered in the attack.

A touching funeral has been held at the Sant Pere church in Catalonia for two victims of last week’s Las Ramblas terror attack

Hundreds flocked to the Sant Pere church in Catalonia to pay their respects to three-year-old Javier Martinez and his grandfather Fransisco Lopez Rodriguez

Hundreds flocked to the Sant Pere church in Catalonia to pay their respects to three-year-old Javier Martinez and his grandfather Fransisco Lopez Rodriguez

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez (pictured on Las Ramblas moments before the attack) died immediately when he was struck by the van being. His great-nephew Javier Martinez (bottom left) was also killed

Francisco Lopez Rodriguez (pictured on Las Ramblas moments before the attack) died immediately when he was struck by the van being. His great-nephew Javier Martinez (bottom left) was also killed

Originally from Lanteira in Granada, he was the first victim to be identified following Thursday’s attack in which more than 100 were wounded.

Francisco was walking through the popular Las Ramblas area with his wife Roser and her two children when they were hit by the white van, according to his cousin Joaquín Villalba who described him as a ‘great person’.

Villalba told El Pais how little Javier was killed when fell and badly struck his head.

Meanwhile hundreds of mourners have been seen crying and hugging each other at the site of the attack in Barcelona.

Crowds continue to lay flowers, candles and heart-shaped balloons at the top of the city’s iconic Las Ramblas promenade.

Other smaller flower and candle tributes are located at different points of Las Ramblas along where the van drove. 

Spanish newspaper El Pais has since published images of what it says is the driver of the van attack supposedly making a getaway on foot through a local food hall.

The mourners - many holding flowers, all somber - packed into the forecourt as two hearses carried out their remains

The mourners – many holding flowers, all somber – packed into the forecourt as two hearses carried out their remains

Fransisco (his funeral, pictured), 65, was killed by his wife's side when a van driven by fugitive jihadi Younes Abouyaaqoub ploughed into crowds of people

Fransisco (his funeral, pictured), 65, was killed by his wife’s side when a van driven by fugitive jihadi Younes Abouyaaqoub ploughed into crowds of people

Francisco was walking through the popular Las Ramblas area with his wife Roser and her two children when they were hit by the white van

Francisco was walking through the popular Las Ramblas area with his wife Roser and her two children when they were hit by the white van

Meanwhile hundreds of mourners have been seen crying and hugging each other at the site of the attack in Barcelona

Meanwhile hundreds of mourners have been seen crying and hugging each other at the site of the attack in Barcelona

Disturbing photos show fugitive Barcelona terrorist Younes Abouyaaquob (pictured) fleeing the Las Ramblas carnage through the city's historic Boqueria market

Disturbing photos show fugitive Barcelona terrorist Younes Abouyaaquob (pictured) fleeing the Las Ramblas carnage through the city’s historic Boqueria market

Abouyaaquob is believed to have then made his way to the Barcelona's university area where he hijacked a Ford Focus car, killing the driver Pablo Perez Villan

Abouyaaquob is now believed to be the last member of the 12-man Islamic extremist cell still at large

Abouyaaquob is believed to have then made his way to the Barcelona’s university area where he hijacked a Ford Focus car, killing the driver Pablo Perez Villan

The three images show a slim man wearing sunglasses seemingly walking through what El Pais says is traditional La Boqueria market just off Las Ramblas.

Catalan authorities have confirmed  the driver as Abouyaaqoub, the last of the 12-man Islamic extremist cell to remain at large.

Spanish police have since extended the search for Abouyaaqoub to all of Europe as details of his audacious escape emerged. 

The Catalan regional government has said all European police forces are now searching for Abouyaaqoub and authorities could not rule out that he had slipped across the border into France.

‘This person is no longer just being sought in Catalonia but in all European countries, this is an effort by European police,’ Joaquim Forn, in charge of home affairs in the northeastern Spanish region, told Catalan radio.

Today’s funeral comes a day after Julian Cadman, a seven-year-old British-born boy lost in the Barcelona terror attack, was confirmed dead.

Spanish police have since extended the search for Abouyaaqoub to all of Europe as details of his audacious escape emerged

Spanish police have since extended the search for Abouyaaqoub to all of Europe as details of his audacious escape emerged

The Catalan regional government has said all European police forces are now searching for Abouyaaqoub

The Catalan regional government has said all European police forces are now searching for Abouyaaqoub

Fransisco was the first victim to be identified following Thursday's attack (pictured) in which more than 100 were wounded

Fransisco was the first victim to be identified following Thursday’s attack (pictured) in which more than 100 were wounded

Relatives of Julian, a dual British-Australian national, appealed for information about his whereabouts after he became separated from his mother in the massacre on Las Ramblas that left 14 dead and at least 120 injured.

His father Andrew, a 42-year-old cabinet maker, was reportedly taken to the forensic institute, which includes a mortuary, when he arrived from his home in Sydney, Australia, on Saturday. 

Julian’s mother – who is from the Philippines and known as Jom – is recovering in hospital with broken legs after being hit by the van driven by an ISIS jihadi. She was in the city with her son for her niece’s wedding.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk