News, Culture & Society

Girl, 17, had ecstasy, cocaine and ketamine in her system when she died at Leeds Festival

Teenage music fan, 17, had cocktail of ecstasy, cocaine and ketamine in her system when she ‘overdosed’ and died at Leeds Festival, inquest hears

  • Teenager Anya Buckley suffered a cardiac arrest at Leeds Festival in August
  • The 17-year-old had MDMA, cocaine and ketamine in her system when she died 
  • Boy arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs was released under investigation

Anya Buckley, 17, died at Leeds Festival in August 

A 17-year-old girl had MDMA, cocaine and ketamine in her system when she died at Leeds Festival, an inquest heard today.

Anya Buckley, from Oldham, was taken ill at the music event site at Bramhall Park in August, before suffering a cardiac arrest. 

Anya, who had travelled to the festival with a group of friends, was pronounced dead at 3.40am on Saturday, August 24. 

An inquest into Anya’s death opened and adjourned today. 

Toxicology results provided to Kevin McLoughlin, senior coroner for West Yorkshire, showed Anya had a combination of MDMA, ketamine and cocaine in her body at the time of her death.

A day earlier, the festival had posted a warning about ‘dangerous, high-strength pills’ in circulation at the site. 

It said: ‘Donkey Kong, Trump and Skype pills have been found in circulation on site. These are very dangerous, high-strength pills, up to three times the normal average adult dose.’ 

A 17-year-old boy, also from Oldham, was arrested on suspicion of supplying controlled drugs but was released under investigation. 

Three other teenagers died over the same weekend as Anya, including two at music festivals.  

Anya, from Oldham, was taken ill at the music event site at Bramhall Park in August, before suffering a cardiac arrest

Anya, from Oldham, was taken ill at the music event site at Bramhall Park in August, before suffering a cardiac arrest

A 19-year-old man, named on social media as Josh Gibson, died after falling ill at the Creamfields dance music festival in Cheshire.

At Reading Festival, a 19-year-old reveller died two days after he fell ill near one of the stages. Police said both of these deaths were unexplained.

On the same weekend, an 18-year-old woman, named locally as Courtney Chamberlin, died in a nightclub in Leeds from a suspected drug overdose. 

Opening the inquest at Wakefield Coroners Court, Mr McLoughlin said: ‘A police investigation is currently underway. I would like to offer my heartfelt sympathy to her family.’

A date for a full hearing will be fixed in due course.  

Following Anya’s death, her heartbroken friends paid tribute to her describing her as a ‘beautiful angel’.

Anya, who had travelled to the festival with a group of friends, was pronounced dead at 3.40am on Saturday, August 24

Anya, who had travelled to the festival with a group of friends, was pronounced dead at 3.40am on Saturday, August 24

It is understood she had been working as a waitress after leaving school.  

In an emotional post on Twitter, Alexandra Lovatt wrote: ‘Anya I would do anything just to speak to you one last time.

‘I don’t understand how something so horrible could happen to the most kindest and loving person I’ve met.

‘I’m so grateful I had you in my life, so many people loved you and I wish you could see that. Fly high Anya. Love you forever and always. RIP beautiful.’ 

Festival Republic director Melvin Benn said: ‘To say we are deeply saddened about this tragedy is an understatement.

‘The West Yorkshire Police have taken action against those that may have supplied the drugs, and we will continue to work with them as usual.’ 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.