News, Culture & Society

Hannah Mouncey considering legal action following new AFL policy requiring low testosterone levels

Transgender footy star Hannah Mouncey is still considering taking legal action against the AFL after it released its much-anticipated policy on transgender players.

The policy, which was released on Friday following an extensive consultation with transgender organisations, sets out thresholds for maximum testosterone levels.

Aside from proving they have been under the AFL’s limit of 5 nanomole/litre, transgender players must also submit to testing in a range of categories including weight, height and bench press. 

Hannah Mouncey (right) is still considering taking legal action against the AFL, who barred her from playing in the AFLW in 2018, following the release of the league’s new transgender policy

Mouncey has said she will be taking legal advice in the run up to draft nominations for the next AFLW Draft, following the announcement of the new policy on Friday

Mouncey has said she will be taking legal advice in the run up to draft nominations for the next AFLW Draft, following the announcement of the new policy on Friday

The AFL banned Mouncey, 28, from participating in the AFLW’s 2018 season last year, before being clearing her to play in state women’s leagues in February. 

But Mouncey was still unable to play in the 2018 league, having already been barred in October.

Mouncey said she was confident she would fit into the league’s requirements but added she would take legal advice in the run up to AFLW draft nomination.

‘I will take advice from my lawyers on what is the best path to go down,’ she told The Herald Sun. 

The new league policy requires trans players like Mouncey (right) to submit to strength and fitness testing and maintain testosterone levels under a certain amount for two years

The new league policy requires trans players like Mouncey (right) to submit to strength and fitness testing and maintain testosterone levels under a certain amount for two years

Mouncey indicated on Twitter on Friday that she would complete the process to be allowed into the AFLW Draft in October

Mouncey indicated on Twitter on Friday that she would complete the process to be allowed into the AFLW Draft in October

‘I haven’t wanted to take legal action but the fact I haven’t really spoken to the AFL since January of February means I didn’t think I had any other meaningful option.’

In a tweet posted on Friday, Mouncey seemed to indicate she was intent on appearing at the draft – due to be held in October.

Mouncey took particular issue with the AFL’s weight parameters – arguing that agility in the air was equally as important to how heavy someone was.

Draft nominations can be submitted between 3 and 14 for the AFLW draft – the season for which will be held in late October.

Mouncey appeared in the Victorian Women’s Football League this year – finishing second in the overall goalkicking standings.

She transitioned from a man in 2015, having previously been known as Callum and represented the Australian men’s handball team.

Mouncey transitioned from a man in 2015, having previously been known as Callum and represented the Australian men's handball team.

Mouncey transitioned from a man in 2015, having previously been known as Callum and represented the Australian men’s handball team.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.