News, Culture & Society

JJ Cole Pacifier clip burns Ohio toddler while she sleeps

An Ohio mother is warning parents of the potential burn danger a pacifier clip can cause to toddlers.

Ashley Bilek was shocked to discover that her two-year-old daughter, Madelynn had suffered second-degree burns while taking a nap. 

While asleep, the JJ Cole pacifier clip had become stuck under her and all it took was the heat generated from her own body to cause the rubber ring to attach to her skin.

 

Madelynn Bilek, 2, suffered second-degree burns when she fell asleep on her pacifier clip. Her mom, Ashley, is now warning parents of the potential dangers other kids can face from the rubber device 

Madelynn pictured above. The incident happened on July 23 and her mom has since filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission

Madelynn pictured above. The incident happened on July 23 and her mom has since filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission

On July 23, Madelynn woke up screaming with a red, circular ‘rash’ on her stomach. 

And when the little girl pulled the clip off, a layer a skin came off with it. 

‘When I picked her up she screamed and she grabbed her side,’ Bilek told WOIO.

‘I lifted up her shirt and saw that she had this perfect circular wound on her. I didn’t know what it was.’

HOW DOES A PACIFIER CLIP CAUSE BURNS? 

Injuries like these aren’t uncommon in toddlers according to Dr. Anjay Khandelway, co-director of the Comprehensive Burn Center in Ohio.

‘When someone is laying down on something like this and it causes pressure, it can decrease blood flow to the skin. That area of the skin kind of dies off and essentially mimics a burn injury,’ he told Cleveland 19.

He continued: ‘We’ve seen it with other patients where other different objects, if they’re laying on it funny or it’s pressed against a patient in a different way, or in a particular way, it can actually cause damage to either the skin, the underlying tissue, or even sometimes the muscle.

‘Fortunately, in her case, it’s limited only to the skin, and it’s equivalent to a second-degree burn with fortunately heals and will do so without any scarring or long term changes. Hopefully, as she grows older, this will completely disappear.’

Dr. Khandelwal said it is just another problem for parents to look out for.

‘Be sure they’re not laying down on anything, there’s no toys or books they can by laying down on. They should be laying down on a nice clean surface, it’s the best way to avoid any problems,’ he said. 

Her parents immediately took her to Hillcrest Hospital where a doctor told them that the little girl had suffered second-degree burns.   

‘The day we took her home from the emergency room, she just climbed into bed and didn’t move,’ Ashley told Cleveland 19. 

The Bilek family spent the next week in and out of hospitals and doctor’s offices throughout Northeast Ohio because of problems Madelynn was having healing from the burn. 

Ashley said the medicated bandage used to treat the little girls burn irritated her skin more and caused the wound to spread.

‘Anything that stuck to her just pulled off more skin. When she went to the doctor’s office they had to rip all of her skin off and that caused even more irritation, so it kept spreading outward,’ she told Cleveland 19. 

The Bilek’s were eventually referred the MetroHealth Medical Center’s Comprehensive Burn Care Center, where she was then treated. 

‘I would never use one again seeing what could happen,’ Ashley told Cleveland 19. 

‘It might never happen again. I would never take a chance knowing what it did, and I don’t think anyone else should either.’ 

Ashley has filed a complaint about the JJ Cole Pacifier Clip with the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Ashley Bilek pictured above. She said that she would never use the pacifier clip again considering what has happened to her daughter 

Ashley Bilek pictured above. She said that she would never use the pacifier clip again considering what has happened to her daughter 

The medicated bandage used to treat the little girls burn irritated her skin more and caused the wound to spread. The family was then referred to the MetroHealth Medical Center's Comprehensive Burn Care Center

The medicated bandage used to treat the little girls burn irritated her skin more and caused the wound to spread. The family was then referred to the MetroHealth Medical Center’s Comprehensive Burn Care Center

The pacifier clip that burned Madelynn. The little girl was napping and was lying on top of the product when it burned her 

The pacifier clip that burned Madelynn. The little girl was napping and was lying on top of the product when it burned her 

The baby-clothing and stroller firm released a statement and said that they were confident their product was safe for children. 

‘When I went to the store and picked something off the shelf for my baby, I didn’t think, you know, at the store you think it’s safe,’ Ashley said. 

‘I wasn’t thinking, ‘What can this do to my kid?’ I assumed that it was safe like we all hope when we by something. I just think people should be aware of what happened. And what could happen.’ 

JJ COLE’s RELEASE STATEMENT

‘Nothing is more important to us than ensuring that children’s products are safe. At JJ Cole, we take our product safety responsibilities very seriously and are committed to making our products as safe as we possibly can. 

All of our products, including the referred to JJ Cole Pacifier Clip, meet US safety standards and undergo third party testing to further ensure we meet those standards. 

Our customer service department has been in contact with this consumer several times since her initial call, at which time we immediately began to investigate the incident. 

There have been no other reports of this type of incident or injury for the JJ Cold Pacifier Clip. 

The material used to make the product is a standard TPE, commonly and safely found in a wide variety of infant and children’s products.’ 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.