Bayern Munich are ‘on the verge of signing Kim Min-jae for £43m with a medical to take place after his military training’… in a blow for Manchester United who were planning ‘to put in an offer’ for the Napoli defender
Manchester United are set to lose out to Bayern Munich in the race for Kim Min-jae with the Napoli defender set to join the Bundesliga champions on a £43m deal.
Erik ten Hag’s side have long held an interest in the South Korean international, but it was reported earlier this month that Thomas Tuchel’s side had joined the race for the 26-year-old.
The German giants have acted quickly and Sky Germany have now reported that Kim has decided to make the move to the Bundesliga side after reaching a verbal agreement.
Bayern convinced Kim and his management team after ‘many rounds of negotiations’ and the defender will have his medical after he completes his compulsory military training.
It comes as a blow to the Red Devils who are said to have been planning to put in an improved bid to tempt him to make the move to Old Trafford.
Bayern Munich are closing in on the signing of Manchester United target Kim Min-jae
Thomas Tuchel’s (left) side have acted quickly in the race to sign the Napoli defender, with the Red Devils (Erik ten Hag pictured right) set to miss out despite planning to put in a bid
Kim played a huge part in Napoli winning their first Serie A title in over three decades
The defender is expected to sign a five-year deal with Bayern Munich, with Sky Germany also claiming that he will earn somewhere in the region of £8.5m to £10.5m per season.
Kim was a revelation during his first season in Italy, missing just three league games as Napoli won their first Scudetto in over 30 years.
His performances caught the attention of Manchester United, with Newcastle also said to have held an interest.
Bayern Munich’s interest is believed to stem from uncertainty around Lucas Hernandez’s future, with the French defender closing in on a £34m move to Paris Saint-Germain – despite being told by the club’s ultras that he is ‘not welcome’ due to his links to rivals Marseille.
Tuchel’s side wasted no time in their pursuit of Kim, with the club set to fork out his £43m release clause to bring him to the Allianz Arena.
It has been a quiet summer window for Manchester United so far. While their rivals have been bringing in new signings, the Red Devils are still yet to bring anyone through the door.
The Red Devils though have re-opened talks with Mason Mount and hope that a deal for the Chelsea midfielder can be struck next week.
Chelsea rejected United’s third offer for Mount of £55million last Friday and have set their asking price at £65m.
They are also looking to sign a goalkeeper amid uncertainty over the future of David de Gea whose contract is set to expire.
Bayern Munich meanwhile are reportedly set to launch a second offer for Harry Kane, after their opening £60m bid was rejected by Tottenham.