Marc Anthony’s concert promoter sues streaming service after it crashed during 2021 worldwide virtual concert and left fans hanging
- Anthony, 54, tried to put on a virtual concert for fans worldwide in April 2021
- The show crashed for many viewers and was eventually released for free
- The promoter Loud and Live is now suing the streaming platform Maestro
- It says it already paid Maestro and Anthony and lost out on ticket sales
- Fans were refunded their $25–40 ticket fees
A concert promoter for Marc Anthony’s failed 2021 virtual concert is taking a streaming service to court for allegedly bungling the show.
Loud and Live is suing the streaming platform Maestro for failing to live up to the terms of their agreement to broadcast Anthony’s show online, according to legal documents obtained by TMZ on Tuesday.
The 54-year-old singer, who performed at the Latin Grammy Awards last month, meant to put on a virtual concert for fans across the globe that they could stream live after buying a ticket, but the show crashed early on, leaving many viewers in the lurch.
In its lawsuit, Loud and Live claims that Maestro assured it that the streaming platform would be able to handle 100,000 viewers signing in at once for the concert in April of last year.
Payback: Marc Anthony’s promoter Loud and Live is suing the streamer Maestro for crashing during an April 2021 virtual concert, according to TMZ; seen December 6 in NYC
Instead, many fans weren’t able to connect to the show, even as Anthony continued to perform.
The concert, which ended up being around 90 minutes long, was recorded during the initial performance and posted to YouTube for free on the following.
The promoter was on the hook to refund fans who weren’t able to catch the show, and it began sending back fans’ money on the same day that the concert was released for free.
Loud and Live claims in its lawsuit that fans paid between $25 and $40 for a ticket to the virtual event.
Blank screen: The promoter claims Maestro said it could handle a stream for over 100,000 fans, but the show crashed for many viewers; seen November 17 in Las Vegas
Major loss: Loud and Live claims it already paid fees to Anthony and Maestro, and it also had to refund the $25-40 ticket fees from fans before the show was posted for free on YouTube; seen November 17
Loud and Live is trying to recoup the money it lost on refunds from Maestro.
In addition to returning fans’ ticket fees, the promoter had already paid Anthony his fee for performing, and it also paid the streamer an up-front fee despite its subsequent failure.
Loud and Live claims that Maestro wasn’t truthful about its ability to put on such a large stream successfully.
When reached for comment by TMZ, the streamer denied Loud and Live’s claims.
‘We believe the claims are without merit and we intend to contest them vigorously,’ the company said.
Fighting back: Maestro denied Loud and Live’s claims in a statement. ‘We believe the claims are without merit and we intend to contest them vigorously,’ the company said; seen in November 17
On TV: Fans who missed out on Marc’s concert last year at least got a taste of his music when he performed at the Latin Grammy Awards on November 17. He arrived with his fiance Nadia Ferreira
Fans who missed out on Marc’s concert last year at least got a taste of his music when he performed at the Latin Grammy Awards on November 17.
The Latin artist hit the red carpet at the award show with his 23-year-old fiancée Nadia Ferreira, whom he got engaged to in May 2022.
It was a big night for Anthony, who took home four Latin Grammys for his latest album Pa’lla Voy, which was released in March.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk