How 200,000 Australians can score $100 off their restaurant bill when they dine in Melbourne
- Victorian Government announced it will roll out a dining scheme in Melbourne
- ‘CBD Dining Experiences Scheme’ will offer 20 per cent rebates to diners
- Diner who spends $50 will get $10 and person who spends $500 will get $100
- Scheme will be open to everyone and there will be no cap on number of claims
Hundreds and thousands of Australians will be eligible for a rebate of up to $100 if they dine out in Melbourne.
The Victorian Government announced on Sunday it would be rolling out the ‘CBD Dining Experiences Scheme’ over the next few weeks.
The program will cost $7.4million to run and will come out of the upcoming state budget – which will be announced on May 20.
The City of Melbourne will also add an additional $1million to the scheme.
Diners will be able to access a 20 per cent rebate on any drink or meal at an eligible cafe or restaurant.
Hundreds and thousands of Australians will be eligible for a rebate of up to $100 if they dine out in Melbourne
The Victorian Government announced on Sunday it would be rolling out the ‘CBD Dining Experiences Scheme’ over the next few weeks
That means a diner who spends $50 on a night out will get $10 returned to their hip pocket.
Those who spend $150 will get $30 back and diners who splurge $500 will get the maximum $100 cash back.
The scheme will be open to everyone, including people living outside of Victoria, and there will be no cap on the number of times a diner can claim the rebate.
It is expected that more than 200,000 rebates will be handed out to diners.
Acting Premier James Merlino said the money would go a long way to help revitalise the local economy.
‘Life is returning to the CBD and we’re making sure the recovery continues,’ he said.
‘We’re backing the buzz of our cafes, restaurants and bars – and the people who make their living from them.’
The state government will also set aside an extra $100million as it looks to get the city back on track.
Minister for Tourism Martin Pakula said it was vital to get the tourism sector back on its feet.
‘Victoria is the events and culture capital of Australia and our natural assets are simply stunning,’ he said.
Acting Premier James Merlino said the money would go a long way to help revitalise the local economy
‘We’ve got a great story to tell, and we’re telling it far and wide to back our tourism businesses and workers.’
Victoria has been placed into lockdown several times since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic last year.
The state government brought in some of the toughest restrictions in the country with residents forbidden to leave their homes unless it was for essential reasons like grocery shopping or a doctor’s appointment.
Even then they were not allowed to travel more than 25 kilometres from their home.
The much-hated ring of steel also cut off Melbourne from the rest of regional Victoria.
Businesses heavily criticised the lockdown as they were forced to close – with hundreds never reopening their doors once the restrictions were eased.