Sea bass Goujons with Tartare Sauce
For a treat of a sandwich, fill warm plain or wholemeal pittas with shredded lettuce, the goujons, mushrooms and tartare sauce
Eat as an indulgent warm sandwich or a light supper with a salad.
sea salt and black pepper
batter recipe (see here), made with 75ml milk, omitting the butter, adding 1 tsp baking powder with the flour
vegetable or groundnut oil for shallow-frying
2 x 100g seabass fillets, halved lengthways
125g button mushrooms, stalks trimmed and halved
50g soured cream
1 tbsp finely chopped small capers
(such as nonpareille)
1 tbsp finely chopped cocktail gherkins
1 heaped tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- Season the batter well in a medium bowl and place the oil, to a depth of 1cm, in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Once a drop of batter sizzles, dip the fish in the batter and shallow fry for about 4 minutes, until golden and crispy on each side. Remove and place them on a double thickness of kitchen paper.
- Stir the mushrooms into the remaining batter to coat and fry until they are golden and crisp.
- Combine all the ingredients for the tartare sauce in a bowl.
- Serve the goujons with tartare sauce, scattered with the extra parsley
The sauce can be prepared a day in advance, in which case cover and chill.
Goujons in a Roll For a treat of a sandwich, fill warm plain or wholemeal pittas with shredded lettuce, the goujons, mushrooms and tartare sauce.