Six-month-old baby suffers serious burns to her face and hand after BITING a phone charger cable in Brazil
- Six-month-old baby was also knocked out and the whole house short-circuited
- Child is in serious condition with low heart and respiratory rate, said doctors
- Shocking incident happened in Lucas do Rio Verde, central west Brazil
A six-month-old baby miraculously survived a massive electric shock after putting a mobile phone charger in her mouth while it was plugged in.
The discharge was so strong it tripped the house circuit breaker and completely knocked the child out.
The little girl received serious burns to her face and right hand with scorch marks to the tips of her fingers.
It’s believed the baby was playing with the cell phone while it was charging in the family residence in Lucas do Rio Verde, central west Brazil, when she bit down on the end of the cable with the metal USB connector.
The little girl was knocked out cold by the shock that also short-circuited the electrics at her home in Lucas do Rio Verde, central west Brazil
She bit the end of the cable with the metal USB connection. Pictured are her scorched fingers
The infant was rushed unconscious to the nearest family health unit on Tuesday this week by her family where the medical team resuscitated her.
The victim’s injuries were said to be life-threatening and an aspiration procedure had to be performed to remove a build-up of fluid in her throat.
She was transferred shortly afterwards to São Lucas Hospital for more intensive care.
Dr Heleno Strobel Rosa, who performed first aid on the victim at the PSF XV and dressed her wounds, reported that the baby arrived in a ‘serious condition with a very low heart and respiratory rate.’
She said to online media G1: ‘We believe she received the injuries because the shock came in through the hand and exited through her chin.
‘She cried a lot after we revived her, and we provided all the support she needed before she was admitted to the major hospital.’
According to the doctor the grandparents said the baby was sleeping unsupervised ‘on a mattress on the floor with a cell phone charging next to her.’
She said: ‘They claimed that when she woke up she must have reached for the phone and ended up putting the charger cord into her mouth. This caused her to receive a huge electrical discharge.’
The girl was rushed to a clinic by her desperate family and then to Sao Lucas Hospital
Pictured above is Sao Lucas Hospital, where the girl is in intensive care at the time of writing
Dr Rosa said the child was lucky to be alive and warned that these sort of accidents with cell phones are common and avoidable.
She said: ‘Parents can easily stop their child from becoming a statistic by paying attention to dangers that are preventable.
‘Phone chargers should never be left within the reach of a child. When the phone is finished charging it should always be completely unplugged and not left without anything on the other end.’
A medical update on the baby’s health reported that she remains hospitalised, is out of danger and is making a steady recovery.