News, Culture & Society

Sydney girl wrongly named as victim of Astroworld tragedy thankful loved ones were not notified

An Australian teenager has spoken out after being wrongly identified as having been killed in a crush at an outdoor concert in Texas. 

Amelyn Nguyen, a 17-year-old Sydney schoolgirl, was inundated with messages of sympathy from US rap fans after she was wrongly named as one of the nine victims of a stampede at a Travis Scott show.

Ms Nguyen, from Sydney, shared a series of messages she had received through social media via her TikTok account on Monday after she was named and pictured by several accounts as having died on Friday night.

‘Woke up and the world pronounced me dead,’ she wrote on TikTok. 

‘I was honestly very confused and was wondering how people found my pictures,’ she said. 

An Australian woman has been inundated with messages of sympathy from rap fans around the world after she was misidentified as a deceased victim of the Travis Scott stampede

Nine people lost their lives during or after Travis Scott’s set at the Astroworld Festival in Houston, Texas last weekend. 

Ms Nguyen said she does not know the people who posted about her or why they picked her out for the faked story.

‘I am not a Travis Scott fan, before and after the incident,’ she told Buzzfeed. 

She is thankful her family was not notified of her fake death, but people had sent her direct messages on Instagram, hoping they could get in touch with her grieving relatives. 

Ms Nguyen’s viral TikTok about the mix-up has more than one million likes, with many supportive comments.

‘That made me feel so much better about the whole false death accusations, I told my close mutuals and we all had a good laugh,’ she said. 

Amely Nguyen (pictured) shared a series of messages she'd received through social media after she was wrongly named and pictured by several accounts as having died on Friday night

Amely Nguyen (pictured) shared a series of messages she’d received through social media after she was wrongly named and pictured by several accounts as having died on Friday night

One witness described it as a 'floor of bodies' and fans were screaming at to 'stop the show' at the Astroworld Festival on Friday

One witness described it as a ‘floor of bodies’ and fans were screaming at to ‘stop the show’ at the Astroworld Festival on Friday

Nine people have died as a result of the stampede so far, with several more still fighting for their life in hospital.

The victims are aged between 14 and 27, with vigils being held across America for the deceased.

A Twitter account first shared an image of Ms Nguyen on Friday claiming she was the first of the dead to be identified.

‘Amelia Nguyen is the first person to be announced dead today at St Andrews Hospital after the Astroworld festival,’ a woman tweeted, which was reportedly liked more than 70,000 times and retweeted 30,000 times.

The young Sydney woman also shared other posts, including several people posting pictures of her and tagging her account.

‘Rest in Peace. She died in the Astro Festival,’ one person posted on their Instagram story. 

A twitter account first shared an image of Ms Nguyen on Friday claiming she was the first of the dead to be identified

A twitter account first shared an image of Ms Nguyen on Friday claiming she was the first of the dead to be identified

The 17-year-old Sydney girl shared posts, including several people posting pictures of her and tagging her account

The 17-year-old Sydney girl shared posts, including several people posting pictures of her and tagging her account

Social media profiles around the world began to wrongly pay tribute to Ms Nguyen after people identified her as a victim of the fatal stampede at the Astroworld concert

Social media profiles around the world began to wrongly pay tribute to Ms Nguyen after people identified her as a victim of the fatal stampede at the Astroworld concert

Approximately 50,000 people attended the sold-out Astroworld Festival at NRG Park. Witnesses said the chaos broke out after Scott took the stage to perform

Approximately 50,000 people attended the sold-out Astroworld Festival at NRG Park. Witnesses said the chaos broke out after Scott took the stage to perform 

One man sent her a series of messages and even tried to call her account, asking if her mother was reading the correspondence.

‘I know your daughter has passed. If you have her phone I am sorry for the lost (sic),’ he wrote.

The man then sent the account a TikTok video, before continuing to send messages.

‘My highschool in Toronto has made a GONFUNDME for your daughter,’ he wrote.

Ms Nguyen filmed herself laughing as she read the misdirected messages of sympathy. 

Other accounts shared images from Ms Nguyen’s videos, saying she was the ‘first death’ and lamented her ‘being only 17’.

‘Please if you can share this and tag her so that her family can see we’re all here for AMELIA,’ a Canadian man wrote.

‘So a little back story, this girl’s name is Amelia, she died during the Travis Scott Astroworld Festival.’

My Nguyen’s 1,800 followers peppered the video with comments, with many mocking the misidentification.

‘Sometimes it feels like she’s still making TikToks,’ one person joked.

‘Stage one: denial,’ another said. 

‘THEY MADE A GOFUNDME LMAO,’ another TikTok user replied.

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Ms Nguyen for comment.  

Other accounts shared images from Ms Nguyen's videos, saying she was the 'first death' and lamented her 'being only 17'

Other accounts shared images from Ms Nguyen’s videos, saying she was the ‘first death’ and lamented her ‘being only 17’

Scott shared a message on his Instagram on Saturday, where he told fans he was 'devastated' and was 'working closely with authorities'

Scott shared a message on his Instagram on Saturday, where he told fans he was ‘devastated’ and was ‘working closely with authorities’ 

Approximately 50,000 people attended the sold-out Astroworld Festival at NRG Park on Friday. Witnesses said the chaos broke out after Scott took the stage to perform. 

The surge happened at 9.15pm and the ‘mass casualty incident’ was declared. Nearly an hour later, at 10.10pm, the concert producer Live Nation halted the show. 

Earlier that day, hundreds of people were filmed stampeding through a VIP entrance at the Live Nation-organised event, sparking fears of overcrowding and poor crowd control. 

Scott, 29, continued to perform after eight people were crushed to death – including two victims aged just 14 and 16 – in what one witness described as a ‘floor of bodies.’ 

A ninth victim later died in hospital. 

Videos circulating on Twitter show fans chanting ‘stop the show’ as concertgoers were being knocked down and crushed by other attendees.  

Although he completed his 75-minute performance, at one point Scott was filmed calling for help. In another video he stood on a platform with his microphone while chaos unfolded beneath him.

Around 2pm hundreds of fans stormed the festival's VIP entrance. About seven hours later the surge in front of the main stage killed nine people, but the two events appear to be unrelated

Around 2pm hundreds of fans stormed the festival’s VIP entrance. About seven hours later the surge in front of the main stage killed nine people, but the two events appear to be unrelated

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk