An urgent review of King Charles’ security has taken place ahead of the royal family’s public appearance on Christmas Day, following recent protests.
The Windsor family will greet well-wishers on December 25 as they walk back from a morning service at St Mary Magdalene church on their Sandringham estate.
However royal protection chiefs are concerned that the King may face protestors after being targeted twice by egg-hurling activists.
The team responsible for the monarch safety are said to have met at least twice and ordered an immediate review of his security, The Mirror reported.
A review of King Charles’ security is taking place ahead of his public outing on Christmas day
The monarch has twice been targeted by activists throwing eggs at him in the last two months
Footage caught the moment eggs flew past King Charles as he was greeted by city leaders in the centre of York
King Charles has had eggs thrown at him twice recently, earlier this month a man was arrested for common assault following a disturbance on St George’s Square in Luton.
Though Charles, 74, appeared unfazed by the incident and quickly resumed shaking hands with members of the public after being moved to a different area.
Just four weeks prior, another man was arrested for throwing an egg at the King and Queen Consort during a visit to York.
The royal couple had just arrived in the city on November 9 to unveil a statue in honour of the late Queen at York Minster when a figure in the crowd threw four eggs, all of which missed.
The royal family make a public appearance on Christmas day after attending church in the morning. Pictured: Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince Andrew, Prince William, Kate and Prince Harry attend a Christmas Day church service at Sandringham on December 25, 2011
The police’s Royal and VIP Executive Committee are responsible for the security of the King and Camilla.
An insider told The Mirror the police chiefs are ‘concerned’ at the possibility of further disturbances, they said: ‘This isn’t just about individuals with eggs at their disposal, everyone is extremely aware it could be far worse.
‘A full scale review is in place to make sure the right policies and evacuation procedures are in place.’
Buckingham Palace officials also said to have held emergency talks after an increase in the number of disturbances during public outings.
Former Met Police chief superintendent and head of the royal protection unit Dai Davies told The Mirror that the right to peaceful protest must be defended, but that officers need to have ‘a razor sharp focus’.
He said: ‘There is no magic solution to this pattern of attacks or protests, but intelligence and exit strategies are the most important factor.
‘The egg incidents show the vulnerability of the royals but it’s happened before and it will happen again.
‘The key is to make sure these incidents do not spiral.
Patrick Thelwell, 23, will appear at York Magistrates’ Court on January 20 next year charged with threatening behaviour contrary to Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986
This month a student was charged with threatening behaviour after the eggs were thrown at the King during a walkabout in York – and revealed he intends to ask the Monarch to give evidence in his defence.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had authorised North Yorkshire Police to charge Patrick Thelwell following the incident on November 9.
The 23-year-old will appear at York Magistrates’ Court on January 20 next year charged with threatening behaviour contrary to Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986.
Mr Thelwell said: ‘I am charged with section four of the public order act.
‘My plea hearing is on the 20th of January I will plead not guilty, of course.
‘The charge relates to someone feeling fear of imminent physical violence.
‘The question is did the King fear imminent violence? So I don’t know how to get an answer to that without getting a statement from him.’
Asked if he would also call the King to give live evidence, he replied: ‘These are questions for my solicitor I think. It should be fun.’
Prince Louis is set to join the Royal Family on their public walk to church on Christmas Day at Sandringham
Prince Louis is set to join the Royal Family’s traditional Christmas Day walk to church at Sandringham for the first time this year.
The four-year-old caught the nation’s attention at Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations over the summer with his mischievous antics.
The final decision over Prince Louis’ attendance at Sandringham will not be made until the day itself.
But it is hoped the youngster will make the proceedings light and festive alongside his older siblings Prince George, nine, and Princess Charlotte, seven – and distract from the family’s ongoing row with Harry and Meghan.