Camperdown apartment evacuated with two people rushed to hospital after toxic fumes break out

Apartment block is evacuated and two workers rushed to hospital after inhaling toxic fumes

  • Apartments evacuated after toxic fumes leak
  • Fumes the result of pool chemicals being mixed
  • Two people rushed to a Sydney hospital 

An apartment building has been evacuated and two people have been rushed to hospital after toxic fumes were detected inside the residential complex.

Fire and rescue crews were called to the building on Parramatta Road in the inner western Sydney suburb of Camperdown at about 11.15am on Thursday.

Around 70 residents were evacuated after toxic fumes were released when chlorine was mixed with hydrochloric acid in a maintenance room used for a swimming pool.

Firefighters in HAZMAT suits were able to stop the fumes by pouring the chemicals into water. 

The two people rushed to hospital were the pool workers who were feared to have breathed in the toxic fumes.

Police and NSW Safe Work officers were also at the scene. 

More to come