A chocolatier has lifted the lid on what really goes in between KitKat’s crispy wafers.
Connie Yuen works as the head chocolatier at the KitKat Chocolatory in Melbourne where customers can design their own personalised KitKat with any three of 16 different toppings on offer.
Speaking to Daily Mail Australia, the 32-year-old said each KitKat takes at least 20 seconds to whip up in an open kitchen – meaning chocolate lovers can see their orders being made fresh on-site in front of them.
Melbourne chocolatier Connie Yuen (pictured) has lifted the lid on what really goes in between KitKat’s crispy wafers
Customers can order their personalised KitKat at the KitKat Chocolatory in Melbourne – and they can see their orders being made fresh on-site in front of them through the open kitchen
The KitKats are made by sprinkling little pieces of mouth-watering ingredients, before filling the mould with chocolate.
‘We pipe the chocolate into the mould, press in the wafers, smooth out the chocolate and then sprinkle with the customer’s requested toppings,’ she said.
‘Every order is different. It takes us between 20-30 seconds to make per KitKat. It does take up to an hour and a half to set, so customers can do their shopping until they get a text message to say their order is ready.’
Ms Yuen has teamed up with Australian accessories designer Georgia Perry to create world-first flavours – set to unveil at the store on Saturday.
The flavours include Dark Cherry, Tropical Delight, Cinnamon Doughnut, Hazelnut Pretzel Butterballs, Lemon Meringue and Maccha Fruit Pretzel.
‘My favourite is probably the Cinnamon Doughnut,’ she said.
The 32-year-old said the eight bars takes at least 20 seconds to whip up in an open kitchen
She explained her flavours stems from the latest trends – and what the customers are ordering
She explained her flavours stems from the latest trends – and a mix of what the customers are ordering.
‘Melbourne has always been a foodie city so there’s inspiration everywhere,’ she said.
‘We also see what the latest trends are, and look at what people are picking for their orders – consumers do help us decide how we come up with new flavours.’
Her role involves managing the kitchen and assisting customers with their orders.
And while her job sounds just as good as it seems, she revealed her sweet perks – and unsurprisingly – she gets to eat chocolate every day.
‘I do get a lot of questions like “do you eat a lot of chocolate everyday?” It’s definitely part of my job but I do exercise to keep myself fit,’ she said as she laughed.
‘I don’t eat that much chocolate but I have to taste it to make sure everything is perfect. I don’t eat much of chocolate outside of work.’
The 32-year-old’s role involves managing the kitchen and assisting customers with orders
Ms Yuen has teamed up with Australian accessories designer Georgia Perry to create world-first flavours – set to unveil at the store on Saturday (pictured together)
Growing up with parents in the food industry, Ms Yuen said one of her fondest memories was smelling a waft of caramel when her father comes home from work.
‘It wasn’t a surprise for everyone when I ended up in this industry,’ she said.
‘I remember growing up, smelling caramel when my dad came home. I love that sort of memory.
‘My parents know it’s hard work being in hospitality, they didn’t want that for me but then they could see that I was passionate. They are just happy I get to do what I love.’
So what’s next for Ms Yuen?
‘We’re already thinking about Christmas,’ she said as she laughed.
‘We have something pretty exciting coming up. There’s Easter next year – it’s just never ending. That’s what makes this job so fun.’
To get your hands on the new flavours, head to Melbourne’s KitKat Chocolatory on Saturday.
KITKAT’S NEW FLAVOURS
- Georgia Perry for KITKAT CHOCOLATORY Limited Release (available only on Saturday) – premium white chocolate, crisp batch baked wafers, crushed raspberries & caramelised meringue
- Dark Cherry – a dark chocolate base blended with delicious cherry, topped with a cookie crumb twig, cranberries, raspberries and sprinkled with maccha powder
- Tropical Delight – a white chocolate base blended with mouth-watering passionfruit, topped with raspberry shards and apricot
- Cinnamon Doughnut – a milk chocolate base blended with sweet cinnamon, half dipped in a cherry white chocolate and topped with sprinkles
- Hazelnut Pretzel Butterballs – a milk chocolate base infused with crushed hazelnuts, topped with a pretzel dipped in butter crocant
- Lemon Meringue – a white chocolate base blended with lemon and infused with strawberry, topped with a blueberry white chocolate graffiti and crushed meringue
- Maccha Fruit Pretzel – a white chocolate base blended with maccha, topped with pretzel, cranberry and apricot, finished with the iconic and edible KITKAT logo