A creative hair stylist who has worked with A-list celebrities and captured the attention of thousands online has revealed her top industry secrets.
Linda Ha, from Sydney, dropped out of high school in 2009 to pursue her passion for hair styling – which took her to London and the US.
The 29-year-old told FEMAIL she has worked with the likes of former Disney actress Vanessa Hudgens, Victoria Secret stars Shanina Shaik and Kelly Gale, and has lent out extravagant wigs to Doja Cat and Beyoncé.
‘As a kid I would cut my own fringe and did other people’s hair at school,’ she said.
A Sydney hair stylist with a unique creative flare flair has caught the attention of A-list celebrities and social media influencers
Linda Ha, from Sydney, she has worked with the likes of former Disney actress Vanessa Hudgens, Victoria Secret stars Shanina Shaik and Kelly Gale, and has lent out extravagant wigs to singer Doja Cat and Beyoncé
Linda Ha (pictured) dropped out of high school in 2009 to pursue hair styling
Linda’s unique work was first noticed by celebrities and social media influencers when she started posting braided styles on Instagram for Coachella in 2017.
She was star struck when she received a personal message on Instagram from Vanessa Hudgens who was eager have Linda style her hair for Halloween.
In a TikTok video Linda described the experience as the ‘happiest journey’ of her career.
The message read: ‘Are you in LA? I’d love to [have] some Halloweeny braids.’
Linda then flew to America to style the actress’ hair at her home and created stunning white braids that glow in the dark.
The look was paired with dark makeup, a black shirt dress and knee-high black boots.
The popular hair artist was star struck when she received a personal message on Instagram from Vanessa Hudgens (right) who was eager have Linda style her hair for Halloween (pictured left: the message)
Linda also claims to be in touch with Beyoncé’s hair stylist who was wanting to borrow a long crystal wig for the international star to use (pictured: the wig)
Pearl waves, spiky buns, sleek ponytails and hair printing are some of the few styles that sets Linda apart from others in the industry.
The time spent creating the extravagant looks can vary from 35 minutes for beachy waves to 11 hours for thick braids.
The stylish pearl and crystal wigs can take anywhere between two weeks to one month to complete.
Linda is also in touch with Beyoncé’s hair stylist who was wanting to borrow a long crystal wig for the international star to use.
It took Linda two weeks to create a glamorous wig (pictured) that was sent out to singer Doja Cat to use
Pearl waves, spiky buns (left), sleek ponytails and hair printing are some of the few styles that sets Linda apart from others in the industry
Linda’s top hair tips
1. Get yourself a silk pillow – It will protect your hair from knotting up at night
2. Use a hair scarf to achieve heatless curls – If you don’t want to damage your hair by the heat from the curling iron, braid your hair with a thin scarf, leave it for an hour or over night. You’ll be left with stunning heatless curls
3. Add leave-in conditioner to your hair care routine – If you have a big afro or curly hair and want to change the hairstyle without damaging it, add some leave-in conditioner in your hair and sleek it back into a ponytail then twist it into a bun and get yourself a ponytail extension to attach to the bun.
Once the extensions is attached you may curl or straighten the hair without damaging your own!
4. Never curl freshly washed hair – wait one day to style hair so it doesn’t feel too soft
Linda’s top hair secrets include sleeping with silk pillowcases rather than cotton and use heated styling tools sparingly.
Silk pillowcases will protect your hair from knotting at night and braiding your hair using a thin scarf overnight will leave you with perfect heatless curls.
‘Never curl freshly washed hair. If you want volume, style the hair one day after washing it,’ Linda said,
‘Fresh hair is too silky from the conditioner and is difficult to work with so wash it the day before you style it.’
Outside of work, Linda is a mum-of-two young children under the age of five and finds a balance between freelancing and being a single parent
Last year she printed the Louis Vuitton branded symbol onto a sleek ponytail wig (pictured)
Linda has also created an incredible Barbie look, complete with the heads of dolls as a headband (pictured)
Outside of work, Linda is a mum-of-two young children under the age of five and finds a balance between freelancing and being a single parent.
She plans to relocate to America because it’s the ‘place to be’ but admits this will be difficult with kids.
For now, she will continue to create epic looks to show off online and work with influencers.
HOW TO BRAID YOUR OWN HAIR:
1. Start by parting hair straight down the middle.
2. Take a small section in the front near the hairline and split that section into three.
3. Holding the right-hand strand with your fingers, slide this section under the middle strand.
4. Gradually add hair from the left and pass it under the middle strand, repeating down the hair.
5. Once the braid is complete, tie with a clear elastic band.
HOW TO CREATE BEACH WAVES:
1. Start by applying heat protector spray to avoid damaging hair.
2. After spraying generously throughout, dry hair thoroughly with a hairdryer while smoothing out with a round brush.
3. Section by section, apply hairspray while clamping the hair with a three-barrel curling iron.
4. Once the whole head has been curled, lightly tease the curls out using your fingers or a wide comb to soften waves.