Can you put your finger on whose royal hands are whose? The Queen is said to have hated her hands. But should any royals be proud of their pinkies?
- Queen was shy about having her hands pictured, photographer Rankin revealed
- It’s not the first time that hands have been a talking point for the monarchy
- The Queen claimed King Charles had an ‘interesting pair of hands for a baby’
- Can you spot them here and match the other pairs with their royal owners?
The Queen may have been the most photographed woman in history — but she was shy about having her hands pictured.
So revealed celebrity photographer Rankin this week.
During a photoshoot for her late Majesty’s Golden Jubilee in 2002, Rankin asked if the Queen might consider posing with a sword.
Her reply, as the photographer recounted on a recent podcast, was both swift and disarmingly honest: ‘I don’t like my hands.’
Glaswegian-born Rankin, 56, who has captured famous images of David Bowie, Kate Moss and Madonna, suspects this was a characteristically diplomatic ‘get out’.
It’s not the first time that hands have been a talking point for the monarchy. The Queen claimed Charles had an ‘interesting pair of hands for a baby’.
Perhaps his are the most recognisable of Windsor hands today — but can you spot them here and match the other pairs with their royal owners?
The hands of Windsor: The Queen holding her distinctive glasses in 2007
1. As a princess, she can wear tiaras and all types of bling, but her style is down to earth, modest and classy — like her simple wedding ring
2. A £60,000 engagement ring from her property developer husband is the ideal fit for a princess’s paws
3. Call the air ambulance! These princely nails need a manicure
4. From being a hero Navy pilot, this prince has recently hit choppy waters — is his hand-wringing perhaps a sign of regret for past sins?
5. What could be the nail-biting dramas behind these not-so-cute cuticles?
6. They’re easy to spot and the owner of these hands has joked about his ‘sausage fingers’
7. Like many members of the Royal Family she’s a skilled horsewoman — but she’s gone from holding the reins to a new job handling the reign
8. In this family, it’s never too early for a young princess to learn and perfect a royal wave
9. She once played Tig on her blog and handed a royal scoop to Oprah
10. A young man, destined for greatness, who has won the hearts of the nation
ANSWERS: 1. The Princess of Wales 2. Princess Beatrice 3. The Prince of Wales 4. Prince Andrew 5. Prince Harry 6. The King 7. Camilla, Queen Consort 8. Princess Charlotte 9. The Duchess of Sussex 10. Prince George