News, Culture & Society

Gyms, yoga studios could reopen in New South Wales ‘in next month or so’

Gyms, yoga studios and even beauticians could reopen within the ‘next month or so’ in New South Wales as the government eases coronavirus lockdown measures. 

The state government announced on Friday that pubs and restaurants could reopen to as many as 50 patrons – with some restrictions – from Sunday, June 1.  

But Deputy Premier John Barilaro told 2GB that more is on the way, hinting that Australia’s biggest state is on track to reopen quicker than anyone anticipated. 

By the time gyms open, it will have been months between sessions at the local gym for many fit Australians

The desolate scene at an Australian gym after coronavirus restrictions forced them to close

The desolate scene at an Australian gym after coronavirus restrictions forced them to close

Mr Barilaro said senior ministers are working on industry plans for gyms, yoga studios and beauticians – ‘you name it, we’re working on all of those.’  

When it came to opening up those industries, he said: ‘We’re not talking September, no way in the world. 

‘We’re looking at all these restrictions coming off in the next month or so.’ 

Asked to confirm that gyms would be open in a month, Mr Barilaro said he was ‘confident’ that could happen ‘if the industry plan is right’.

He said common surfaces used in gyms were a problem with the virus, but the government will work with businesses on measures to open them up safely. 

Mr Barilaro compared other parts of the economy reopening with the NRL, which pitched a plan to the government and had it assessed by health experts.

We’re looking at all these restrictions coming off in the next month or so 

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro 

The state Nationals leader said other industries will follow the same course. 

Gladys Berejiklian announced the lifting of restrictions on pubs and restaurants earlier on Friday.

Customers will have to be seated at tables and must have four square meters per person, meaning smaller bars and cafes will not be able to fit 50 people inside. 

There will also be no buffets or shared cutlery and bookings will be limited to 10 people. 

Diners will have to register their name and phone number when they enter the premises so they can be contacted in the event of an outbreak. 

Cheers! Pubs and restaurants in New South Wales can host 50 patrons at once from June 1, Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced today

Cheers! Pubs and restaurants in New South Wales can host 50 patrons at once from June 1, Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced today

Customers will have to be seated at tables and must have four square meters per person, meaning smaller bars and cafes will not be able to fit 50 people inside

Customers will have to be seated at tables and must have four square meters per person, meaning smaller bars and cafes will not be able to fit 50 people inside

The Premier said she made the move to get Australians back into work after 210,000 lost their jobs in the state in April. 

‘We are making sure people aren’t long-term unemployed, and that we can bounce back from the devastating economic shock,’ she said. 

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said the Government was moving to swiftly and safely get businesses back in business and people back to work.

‘There are about 280,000 people employed in this sector of the economy and allowing venues to safely cater for more customers will provide another boost to business and jobs,’ Mr Perrottet said.

‘NSW is opening back up for business, and as we ease restrictions everybody needs to follow the health and safety guidelines, to ensure we make it a success and can continue.’

The Premier said she made the move to get Australians back into work after 210,000 lost their jobs in the state in April

The Premier said she made the move to get Australians back into work after 210,000 lost their jobs in the state in April 

Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the move was a big boost for regional areas

Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the move was a big boost for regional areas 

 

There will be no buffets or shared cutlery and bookings will be limited to 10 people

There will be no buffets or shared cutlery and bookings will be limited to 10 people

Minister for Customer Service Victor Dominello, who is responsible for liquor and gaming regulation, said the NSW Government has met with both AHA and ClubsNSW to deliver this plan.

‘This has been really considered and thought out to make sure we have the best regulatory settings in place,’ Mr Dominello said.

Victoria has announced that 20 people will be allowed in a restaurant or cafe at once from June 1.

Queensland currently caps numbers at 10 and will allow 20 from 12 June.

South Australia is allowing a venues to host 10 diners outdoors, 10 indoors and serve alcohol from June 5.

Western Australia already allows 20 patrons to be inside a pub at once. 

The Northern Territory opened pubs on 15 May with no numbers cap.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.